Coolant causing smoke?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2005, 06:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy Coolant causing smoke??

Still smokin'. We put an AFE air filter on and a Banks exhaust system. All of the sudden we noticed smoke. We took our 05' Excursion down to the shop to run diagnostics on it and of course the scanner won't go that high on this year yet. Put stock stuff back on and still smokin'. We are thinkin' it's coolant because it is dissipating so quickly. Another guy that works in the shop said he heard that a couple other guys are havin' trouble with the same issue. Anyone heard anything about this problem on ANY of the 6.0L's? We are startin' to hear that it's not just on the Excursions that this is happening. Thanks for anyones' input.......

Last edited by HiTechRedneck; 08-29-2005 at 06:48 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2005, 08:45 PM

yes i have heard about it. mine started to dry out on but now has stopped(for now). im not sure what is doin it since you havent said anything about having a programmer, that is what did it to mine. i have heard that aftermarket intakes and filters can let to much dirt into the turbo and engine and can hurt it, maybe it might have something to do with it. i dont think the exhaust would be the problem. but the best i can give would be to go to the dealership and have them check it out.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to 99Smokin73Stroker Send a message via Yahoo to 99Smokin73Stroker
Smoke killz

I can't fathom the afe kit having anything to do with the smoke, since i've heard from so many that it's the best on the market. But anything can be possible. Perhaps ford should investigate this further and maybe issue a recall if enough trucks have this problem. Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 08-30-2005, 03:23 AM
Gun Nut

Send a message via AIM to Rodslinger
Yeah I'm with the others on this one HiTech, I'd let the dealer hunt it down. If you've removed the mods and it's still smoking, let the dealer solve the problem because it appears it's nothing you've done. I hate to see that you're having problems but hopefully it's something simple. Let us know!!!
Old 08-30-2005, 05:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Calling dealer today, hopefully we can get this resolved without problems. I will keep everyone posted on the outcome.
Old 09-01-2005, 03:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I remember reading about an exhaust gas cooler for the flow into the EGR valve. You guys will have to educate me on this. I wonder if they have problems with it. If it has an internal coolant leak, I would expect smoke at startup after sitting for a while, or maybe combustion gasses in the coolant.
Old 09-02-2005, 06:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

We have a "little bit" of an update on this.....A really nice guy from the dealership where my husbands' shop orders Ford parts from, went out on a "test drive" from the dealership and dropped by the shop real quick. He looked at it and said he'd update some stuff with the computer and the EGR that should fix the check engine light and fix a valve issue that is happening because the EGR isn't sensing things correctly. He is their top guy for the heavy diesels and said he believes this will correct the problem and he'll do it under warranty. He said this is a fairly common issue with this engine when you put a new exhaust system on and add an air filter kit because the computer isn't sensing enough back pressure so it throws a code.

I'll keep everyone posted when we get final results. He said if that doesn't work, he'll flash the computer. We are setting an appointment up some time next week so hopefully we'll all have an answer soon!

Thank you to everyone who has been trying to help us!!!!!!
Old 09-02-2005, 11:56 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to 99Smokin73Stroker Send a message via Yahoo to 99Smokin73Stroker
Pressure problems!

My buddy's 04 seems to have the same problem with his check engine light coming on claiming too much backpressure. He put an intake on it and cut out all the restrictions in his otherwise factory exhaust. Perhaps I can reccomend he do the same to correct that annoying problem! Thanks Red..
Old 09-02-2005, 12:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks. We're hoping it will be that easy!!
Old 09-02-2005, 12:50 PM
Gun Nut

Send a message via AIM to Rodslinger
Good deal! I hope that's all it is and I hope you get as much fun out of your PSD as the rest of us!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.