Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Code thrown on #8 glow plug

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  powerstrokeshellback 
#1 ·
My 2007 Super duty 6.0L threw a code with said that #8 glow plug is faulty. So I did a search on forum and read up on how to replace it.

I managed to replace the glow plug by removing the fender inner wall to gain access and cleared the code but the same code came back again right away.

The wiring harness doesn't seem to be broken or damage at all but is there a way to test the wiring harness? Would pulling harness off #8 then using voltage meter and turn ign key will work? Should it give me 12 volt?

I am not loaded and always turn to find way to save money on repairs whenever possible

Could it be any other reason it would throw that code?

I don't think it the glow module because truck still starts fine with the error code.

Thank you

Bill

#2 ·
One last question

This is my first Diesel truck owned ( yes I am aware about the 6.0L and wish I did research before buying a diesel truck but it went for cheap)

Am I doing any serious damage to it running on only 7 glow plugs? I am not out driving all over with it just like moving it around on my driveway to work on it?

I read on forums that folks are running their truck on only 7 or even 6 working glow plugs because they didn't want work on it during winter season and want to wait until Spring to fix it .

Bill

#3 ·
I forgot to add one more thing

When I remove the old glow plug it was soaked with oil. Does it mean something?

I thought maybe because #8 was never fired and truck running off only seven cylinder so it fuel soaked oil or something like that. Still not sure what to make of it

Bill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.