Help please - Daughter's 05 blowing black smoke with loud fan like sound - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dawg2500HD

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2014, 06:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help please - Daughter's 05 blowing black smoke with loud fan like sound

Just got a call from my daughter and having problems with her 05 F350 (140K or so on it). She's not driving her truck, but is following in another, both pulling heavy (8K lbs or so) trailers and its blowing black smoke. Originally, she had limp mode problems when pulling heavy trailers up hill. NC dealer replaced the EGR (that didn't help) and local dealer cleaned the turbo.
On the way to horse show, truck went into limp mode once (no CEL or ABS light like she was getting before). They shut it down and it ran fine the rest of the way (about 200 miles). No limp mode on the way home and truck seemed to be running fine. But it started blowing black smoke out the pipe up hill and is now doing it straight and level and down hill also. The person driving it says it sounds like a loud fan is running. But no limp mode at all and they are about 20 minutes from home after 250 mile run.

Any idea what the fan noise could be? I'm kind of thinking that the fan is finally working because the truck was always going into limp mode prior to getting the turbo cleaned. But first time she has pulled this trailer without truck continuously going into limp mode and in somewhat hot weather (as opposed to winter). Any suggestions would be appreciated. It does have an older Bully Dog on it - local dealer put it at minimum settings.

Thanks,
AJG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2014, 07:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'm gonna bet the loud fan is just the fan due to overheating. You reeley need a monitor to pull up codes to tell for sure what is going on. Did the dealer clean the ego valve when they did the egg replacement?
I would say shut the truck down, have dinner and take it easy coming home. Then spend a couple bucks on a monitor before the truck goes boom and you spend ALOT of bucks.
The Following User Says Thank You to kinnisoj For This Useful Post:
Heavy_GD (08-03-2014)
Old 08-03-2014, 11:49 PM
6LeakerTweaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinnisoj View Post
I'm gonna bet the loud fan is just the fan due to overheating. You reeley need a monitor to pull up codes to tell for sure what is going on. Did the dealer clean the ego valve when they did the egg replacement?
I would say shut the truck down, have dinner and take it easy coming home. Then spend a couple bucks on a monitor before the truck goes boom and you spend ALOT of bucks.
lol
Heavy_GD likes this.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:56 AM

HAHAHA you gotta love the auto correct spelling.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:03 AM

It could be a bad injector dumping too much fuel in a cylinder. Don't run it like that, it can burn a piston. A computer check will show that if it's a problem.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshevilleEngine.com View Post
It could be a bad injector dumping too much fuel in a cylinder. Don't run it like that, it can burn a piston. A computer check will show that if it's a problem.
Daughter stopped home today. Bully Dog logged codes P0278, P1148, and P0234. It shows max boost as 35PSI and max Pyro at 1522F. Defuel is set at 1250.
Old 08-05-2014, 03:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well, got under the hood today. Three or more holes in flex area of the driver side plastic intercooler pipe and warped air cleaner end cap (the side with the MAF sensor) on the side where there are no clips to hold it together. I can put my finger through the gap between the filter box and the end cap. Think I found the 'fan' noise.

But, worse - coolant overflow tank was empty. Took nearly a gallon of gold coolant to get it to the Min mark. No signs of leaks anywhere and there was pressure after I let the engine cool down about an hour. So now I'm wondering if the truck at some point overheated? Other than that, drove it today and it runs great.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:46 PM
6LeakerTweaker

If EGT's were at 1522 for a long period I would say it probably overheated. Is there a white looking residue around the degas cap?

Jeremy
Old 08-05-2014, 08:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg2500HD View Post
If EGT's were at 1522 for a long period I would say it probably overheated. Is there a white looking residue around the degas cap?

Jeremy
No it was clean but I do think it may have gotten hot on a long extended climb based on how much coolant I had to put in - 3/4 gallon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.