2006 6.0 cylinder bore spec. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2014, 04:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2006 6.0 cylinder bore spec.

New member here. First time posting.

Just purchased a 2006 Superduty with a 6.0 for my son. This was a friends truck and he told me it had a blown motor. Figured my son and i would take it on as a project. The truck had been sitting for about a month and was diagnosed as having water in the cylinders on the passenger side (determined by removing glowplugs). Dissassembled top end and removed heads. First thing that was obvious was the passenger side cylinders were pitted. Looks like water had been spraying into cylinder for quite a while. I tried honing to get rid of the pitting but not sure how far i can go before i need to bore out to next size larger. Can anyone please share what the tolerance for a standard cylinder bore is. Drivers side does looks good.

Thanks

Last edited by buckstrand; 08-03-2014 at 04:35 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2014, 06:34 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
any pitting or scratches that you can feel with your finger nail are going to need bored. I would not trust a hone to clean up what you describe.

3.7401-3.7402" is the spec. You have almost nothing to play with. .003" taper .002" out of round max
Old 08-04-2014, 08:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks sinner. So if i am reading your post correctly, any more than 3.7402 will require a rebore? Thats .0001 over factory? I feel i am misinterpreting or misreading something because the tolerances seem too tight. Please help me understand...
Old 08-05-2014, 07:56 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Most of the time that we have a core engine with rusty cylinders, boring it .020 over will clean it up. You really need it leave that up to the machine shop to do what they have to do to clean it up.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckstrand View Post
Thanks sinner. So if i am reading your post correctly, any more than 3.7402 will require a rebore? Thats .0001 over factory? I feel i am misinterpreting or misreading something because the tolerances seem too tight. Please help me understand...
Sinner is quite right the 6.0 was built with very tight tolerances, not much room to do any machineing. Heads all you can take off is .008.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:26 AM

Like I said, leave it up to the machinist who knows what he's doing. You can bore the cylinders on a 6.0 Powerstroke as much as .040 over stock. Have the machist do just what it takes to clean up the cylinder and you'll be O.K.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks guys. Fully aware boring .020, .040 etc should clean up the block and the machinist would know best. What i am trying to determine is whether the pitting requires the block to be pulled. If i can hone in vehicle and stay within spec, it would save considerable time and money thus my question on max bore size before needing to bore out. Thanks
Old 08-05-2014, 04:27 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I would be reluctant to hone in the vehicle. Removing and installing all the pistons will be challenging. If you want the work to last you need to make the best attempt possible at repairing it. Have you considering picking up a used shortblock? I am betting a hone won't be enough for what you need.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:45 PM

buckstrand were you thinking of honing the cylinders with the piston at the bottom of the cylinder ??
Old 08-05-2014, 08:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Pistons on pitted side are out (passenger side). Not too bad to remove. Light hone already perormed on cylinders. Again not too bad with right tool. Havent looked into short block yet. Once i have a good handle on how far i can hone, will definitely consider options if need be. Cylinders cleaned up withless than .0025 over stock on worst hole. Others are less than .001 from stock. Definetely greater than the .0001 tolerance sinner posted( if i am reading it correctly).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.