Cylinder Contribution Codes - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2014, 07:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cylinder Contribution Codes

I have a 05 truck that I purchased about a month and a half ago. Truck has 96k miles on it and I purchased it from the original owner who used it to tow a 5th wheel. No issues with the truck when first purchased. First thing I did was change oil and fuel filters with motorcraft filters and rotella 15w40. Now a week ago truck started missing no CEL light on. So I checked codes with my CTS and found P0284 Cylinder Contribution/Balance. I do own AE but have never really used it so I grabbed the computer and connected. First ran a buzz test and heard all injectors buzz at the same time then each injector clicked, then they all buzzed again and this continued a couple times. Injector 8 was clicking and buzzing too so I figured I confirmed electrical was not a issue. Ran the truck and turned all injectors on and off one by one. First thing I noticed was 2,4,6 made very little change when turned off and 8 made no change when turned off. Just messing around with AE over the next hour or so I ran the truck and ran test a few times. Next two times I turned injectors on and off all made the same amount of change(pretty strong change and very rough idle) except for 8 still made no change. So I bought a injector and replaced #8 along with updated standpipe and dummyplug. Truck started up and ran great after replacing #8 injector. Put about 600 miles on truck sicne and no issued...until today truck started mising again. Checked codes with CTS and this time have P0272. Ran buzz test again and all injectors buzz at same time then all click one at a time. Again shut off injectors and all make a change except for #4. What are the chances I have another injector failed again only 600 miles after last one?

Also I purchased the blue spring but have not installed yet. I wanted to get fittings to test my fuel pressure before installing to see if I indeed do have low fuel pressure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2014, 08:02 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The problem is it is an 05 with original injectors. It is unfortunate that you are having issues, but a number of owners have seen those issues approaching 100k. AE does not have the ability to turn off PCM correction, so you may have a few weaker injectors and the next one is now becoming the problem child. The Ford IDS/WDS is very good for finding weak injectors.

More than likely you are having stiction issues, but it could be a multitude of issues. If you want to give it a try, follow the process in the stiction fix as liked in my signature. The other thing to do is to start using 5w40 full synthetic oil; that could help with your issues. The same goes for Archoil or Rev_X, but this is more for issues that are more minor in nature. Since you live in Canada, there is a fully synthetic oil (DMO or DMSO Gold) you can buy in pails from Co-OP. It is one of the best "true" synthetics you can buy. It will cost you about $120/pail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.