Random Misfire w/ Bullet Proof - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2014, 07:04 PM
scuffs *****

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Tyler
Random Misfire w/ Bullet Proof

Dad has a 2006 with the Bullet Proof kit and ARP studs, 4 inch exhaust and custom Xtreme Race tune. Also has to updated STC fitting. A few years ago he changed oil and added 20-50 during a super hot summer. Ever since then the motor has developed a random misfire at idle and under load. Its gotten worse so he added some anti-stiction oil additive he bought and he says it has seemed to help his idle but under load it has gotten worse.

So, he has been wondering that if maybe during he was running the 20-50 oil its possible it stretched something or broke a seal with that new STC fitting or if maybe the bullet proof kit is starving the HPOP of oil. The truck never throws a code and we don't have access to a high pressure oil gauge.

Basically just trying to see if anyone else here running that kit has had any tupe of issue like this or not running it has had an issue and figured out a fix?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2014, 07:05 PM
scuffs *****

Also, it NEVER has a no start while hot issue so I assume its not sucking air.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:11 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
So after adding the 20-50, it then developed the misfire? How consistent is it? Can you recreate it at low RPM's and high RPM's? Is it the same cylinder each time or does it vary? What kind of codes are you getting? Do you have access to AutoEnginuity or Ford IDS or other diagnostic tool to perform a power balance?

Also, and something that I just want to confirm... the 20-50 oil; was it rated for diesel applications?
Old 08-03-2014, 06:45 AM
scuffs *****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Eye View Post
So after adding the 20-50, it then developed the misfire? How consistent is it? Can you recreate it at low RPM's and high RPM's? Is it the same cylinder each time or does it vary? What kind of codes are you getting? Do you have access to AutoEnginuity or Ford IDS or other diagnostic tool to perform a power balance?

Also, and something that I just want to confirm... the 20-50 oil; was it rated for diesel applications?
Its somewhat consitant, it is a guarantee that it will happen every time you drive it. It happens a lot at idle, but it'll even do it winding up at WOT. Dunno if its same cylinder each time, some times its 1 cylinder and sometimes it'll drop 2 or 3 sitting at a stop light. Truck isn't throwing codes. Doesn't last long enough I guess.

As far as the 20-50 being rated for diesel I would assume. He's never done something super stupid and I think it was Rotella oil.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:57 AM
Slacker

Interesting. I would assume that it would be enough to set a power balance code especially with it being a 2006, but maybe not. I don't think it's related but what is his FICM voltage? Have you returned to stock tuning to see if it still does it?
Old 08-03-2014, 07:05 AM
scuffs *****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Eye View Post
Interesting. I would assume that it would be enough to set a power balance code especially with it being a 2006, but maybe not. I don't think it's related but what is his FICM voltage? Have you returned to stock tuning to see if it still does it?
Oh yeah for sure. It doesn't do it as much but it still does it. He actually had to replace it once right after the rebuild we did but we checked the voltage on it and it seemed to be perfect. That was actually my first thought because it was a re-man. But yeah.

Do a lot of people run the Bullet Proof kit or is he the only person on the planet?
Old 08-03-2014, 10:13 AM
scuffs *****

Bump. Calling out you guys with Bullet Proof oil cooling systems!
Old 08-03-2014, 02:53 PM
Slacker

I can guarantee you that this isn't related to the BPD oil cooling system. I've been running it for over 3 years with no issues sounding like what you describe. How is it in your mind related to running the BPD kit? It sounds like you have one or more injectors going out.

You've already admitted that you don't know if the oil he put in is diesel rated and since our injectors use oil to fire, you could say that it's the oil that took out a couple of injectors...
Old 08-03-2014, 03:07 PM
scuffs *****

I'm not saying it is. But anything is possible. Just gonna wait and see if the anti stiction additive helps the situation.
Old 08-03-2014, 03:10 PM
Slacker

Are these original injectors and how many miles are on them? Keep us posted on the situation with the stiction additive. Which one did you use?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.