HELP! Diagnosing 2006 6.0 hard start when hot/ loss of power - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2014, 05:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy HELP! Diagnosing 2006 6.0 hard start when hot/ loss of power

Hey guys I have just recently joined the powerstroke family and I'm trying to diagnose a problem so that I know what to replace. I'll start off by saying that I have a 2006 F250 with the 6.0 with about 132,000 miles. The truck a somewhat of a hard start just starting it up in the morning cold. When i drive to the store or what not and when I go back to start it up, it has a long start and I usually have to turn it over and let it crank and then stop and repeat the process a few times and sometimes it will start, some times i have to let it sit a little longer (if it sits for about an hour or so after driving for it to start right up). I also have noticed a delay in my throttle response it i put the pedal to the floor and my truck doesnt have the "get up" it should have. I know that I most likely have a bad egr cooler and/or valve because my coolant levels with drop if a get on the pedal and i blow white smoke (moderately) when i get on the pedal. I am doing an egr delete soon and putting in a high-flow oil cooler but I am trying to figure out whats going on so that i can go ahead and get the parts for whats broken so i can knock it out when i do the egr delete.

The only code my truck is throwing that i know of is an injector pressure regulator too low. High pressure oil leak? Low pressure oil pump? any ideas?

A mechanic i know did an air test on the icp and didnt hear anything but he didnt take the vavle covers off but he said the high pressure is there and he was leaning towards the low pressure end because my oil pressure gauge takes a long time to even show a reading on pressure and is slow to rise even after the truck starts up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2014, 05:53 PM
Premium Member

I am by no means a pro but sounds like a few issues. Your not driving the truck anymore I would hope. If your heads havent gone yet I imagine with the egr leaking its only a matter of time.

I think if your LPOP goes out then your HPOP isnt going to get the required oil to use to build pressure. However I think there is a code and possibly engine cutout associated with the LPOP not working properly. From what I understand (have not done it yet) but the air test can be kind of tricky to identify any oil leaks.

I would get some sort of gauge setup like a edge CS to monitor all the parameters (there are lots of others also). This will help alot in diagnosing issues.

Skip on the high flow oil cooler. I have one and deltas are normally what you would consider a stock one to have when its clogging up. They dont cool as efficiently. I dont have a problem with mine but when it goes I am going back to OEM cooler. Also stay away from the dorman coolers.

Thats just a start. Hopefully others will add more stuff.
Old 08-02-2014, 06:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ya I plan on just parking it soon so that I dont have something like a head gasket blown or head lift. As far as the air test goes, I heard it is almost impossible to actually hear or find the high pressure oil leak unless you do the air test with the valve covers pulled. So the air test my buddy did do doesnt seem to be that creditable but he stated there was high pressure there. I wasnt sure is maybe it was the ipr or high pressure oil leak or what.

Now as far as not driving it at all, is it really bad to drive it with a the coolant being burned out the exhaust and stuff? obviously i know its symptoms of a bad egr but how quick will a head gasket go when it starts burning coolant out the exhaust?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.