Unique & Challenging No Start - No Inj Buzz - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2014, 06:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unique & Challenging No Start - No Inj Buzz

I know there are a million No Start threads - feels like I have read them all. But still no help for me.

I had a rebuilt motor installed after a rod went thru the block. Everything great for ~1000 miles of light use. Then one day - no start. After 3 attempts, I could finally hear injector buzz at key-on, then it fired. For a week or two - same thing - had to turn key on/off a couple of times to hear buzz, then it would fire. Now - no buzz, no start.

FICM is Swamps 58V, about 3 years old. All Injectors are new. I'm using ForScan w/generic reader. 160 rpm cranking, FICM SYNC OK, IPR 15% cranking, ICPDES 1025psi, ICP 1.63V

Only codes related to EGR delete & P1000. Checked all grounds & voltage at FICM X3 connector - all good. FICM Voltage read directly 58V IGN ON, drops to 55V cranking.

Is it possible for logic side of FICM to fail, w/o setting codes? ie. Voltage is good, but still no output to injectors? How to test for that? Any other ideas?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2014, 12:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Yes the logic board can in deed go bad. You should see 2 sync's.
Your IPR should be about 84% while cranking and then drop off to correspond with throttle.
Old 08-02-2014, 12:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Not sure whether to be happy or sad .... I pulled off all FICM connectors again to check all 16 injector coil resistances through harnesses. All good.

Put FICM connectors back - tried key-on again & bingo - Injector Buzz & started.

Now I know my connector locking tabs have broken (all 3) - but I did try to check FICM connectors fully on right at the beginning of this.

Now ... I can either leave it, replace injector harness to get good connectors, or do the new connector + pig tail thing (all 3). Thoughts?
Old 08-02-2014, 07:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

For the time being you can use long thin zip ties to hold them in place.
Kind of have to criss cross them around the whole FICM at each plug.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'll give that a try - thanks!
Old 08-07-2014, 04:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Got everything buttoned up tonight - turned the key and ..... no inj buzz, no start. Wiggled FICM connectors - no difference. No relevant DTC's.

Surely this can only be bad wiring or the FICM logic side? I had in running, but now no go. AH!!

Anything else I can do to test & narrow it down?
Old 08-25-2014, 06:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Sent my FICM to FICM.repair. Logic board fried, some other issues.
Thought my problems would be over after re-installing - but I guess there is something else going on. Same symptoms - intermittent injector buzz.

Another interesting detail ... the Injector Self Test will not start in Fordscan (like Auto Engenuity). Gives a message "Test conditions not right - test aborted", or something like that. WHY ?!?! What conditions are needed for that to run? I think that is the key to my issue. Since all the FICM PID's come up with good values, and I get FICM sync when cranking, CAN link with PCM must be OK.

If it does run, I also get injector buzz and it starts. But later, it won't!

What if both injector harness connectors are detached at the FICM? Will this prevent Self Test starting? Or, will it run but give multiple codes?

Would be great if someone with a working truck could try that and see what happens!
Old 08-25-2014, 08:02 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
What if both injector harness connectors are detached at the FICM? Will this prevent Self Test starting? Or, will it run but give multiple codes?
If you have FICM connector issues the test will not run. Depending on which pins are not making contact, you may not get codes, but most would code out. Since you have 3 damaged plugs that will not clip in, you are a disaster for a reliable running truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.