coolant in oil and hydro lock symptoms not egr failure>>>> help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2014, 05:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation coolant in oil and hydro lock symptoms not egr failure>>>> help

ok so brief intro to issue. bought truck non running had been sitting for a couple years. Brought home had a few freeze plugs blowed out and water pump impeller cracked from frozen water and sitting over winter. So I decided to do a build for myself with truck and removed engine. Took heads to machine shop had checked decked and new freeze plugs installed and all checked good. Visually checked rotating assembly and block pistons cylinder walls etc etc all looked good.

So with heads being weakest point I re installed did studs delete cooler water pump banjo bolts stand pipes dummy plugs oem cooler oem head gaskets etc etc etc etc just like I would any other truck I was building... Got it all together fired and running. Installed sct 5015 and took to body shop to have a little paint work done which is only about 3 miles from me. Just long enough to bring up to temp and thats it.

Ran flawless no issues no smoke (that I noticed) then got a call 3 days later saying truck wouldnt start like it was hydro locked. so i told him to bump key a few times and then try to start. It did start and went thru body and paint no issues. I went to pick up today and it fired right off first try and boiled out white smoke and then went to haze and as throttle was given it got worse. Ended up going to get trailer to get it home bc I found water in oil and all the smoke so to not cause any more issues.

Now question is that I have heard that the blocks are pretty strong and hard to crack and that the front housing does crack fairly easy and being froze which would be more likely? And if neither where else should I look. Im ok with any answer here just dont want to waste time chasing a ghost if I need to pull engine and go with another shortblock or if another scenario might be as likely to try first without wasting too much time.

Yes heads are torqued correct sequence and ft lbs etc etc as I did them myself. I just personally dont see water getting into cylinders without there being head or block integrity issues but maybe I am wrong...

Thanks to all in advance

Last edited by MidwestDieselTrucks.net; 08-02-2014 at 01:26 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2014, 05:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

and btw in my shop brought it up to temp around 180 ish and white smoke stopped. Also in the 3 mile trip and run time in shop lost about half gal coolant guessing. there is only a small amount of milky reside on dipstick not milky oil I just know its there. not sure if that matters but just throwing it out there. also delete is welded up freeze plug style not aftermarket delete kit. when running it was steaming out of dipstick tube. didnt want to run any longer than I had to diagnose so I didnt tear anything else up.

Last edited by MidwestDieselTrucks.net; 07-30-2014 at 06:29 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:32 PM

Did you pressure test your egr cooler after you welded it up? just wondering because I did the same delete and had a leak in egr cooler weld and it was doing the same thing
The Following User Says Thank You to dj.oneil For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2014, 07:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I did not pressure test it... i will pull plate where valve and see if its wet in am... I HOPE thats it...
Old 07-30-2014, 10:49 PM
Premium Member

Did you take front cover off and check it out. They dont seem to be super strong from looking at mine when I replaced it. I imagine it could crack and leak coolant down into the LPOP area. But not sure if that would cause the white smoke or not.

Another weak area is the oil cooler cover. These things seem to be able to crack pretty easy and could be another source for water in oil.

Now I am not sure what pressures are what on these two areas so I have no idea what would travel into what.
Old 08-02-2014, 01:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ended up being pin hole in egr... Thanks all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.