Head gaskets or reman? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2014, 03:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Head gaskets or reman?

I have a 2004 6.0L with 150K miles, all stock. Hauling a horse across Wyoming, the truck started hesitating (and other bad behavior, white smoke, black smoke, coolant out the degass, etc)) in SD. I stopped in Rapid City to have it checked by two different shops telling me the same thing - head gaskets. We drove it home dumping 12 gallons of 50/50 over the course of 1200 miles. The shop at home says the same thing, but I think they are going to recommend a reman engine.

I have no doubt about the head gaskets b/c the thing smells sweet and smokes like a locomotive. If the heads are cracked and I need to replace those anyway, what is the downside (other than dollars) of a reman engine at this stage for this truck?

Do you have any recommendations for reman suppliers? Am I foolish for considering a reman over repairing what I have?

Happy to answer any questions - thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2014, 04:29 PM
Premium Member

Just me but if I had the cash I would just throw a reman in it making sure it is studded and get rid of the egr cooler or the bpd one, then call it a day for hopefully a long time. I cant recommend a reman but there was one that looked good but I cant recall the name. I think it was about 8K before shipping. More depending on upgrades.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:39 PM
Premium Member

If you are gonna go the reman route try giving ashvilleengines.com a call they may be able to help you out in that department.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The shop is a Jasper dealer, so they'd be putting in either a long-block or running complete reman. I'm leaning toward the running complete b/c of the age of my truck plus any other damage to the top end of things during my run back east with bad gaskets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
6.0, heads, reman

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.