ENGINE temp gauge dies and tow haul flashes - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2014, 09:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ENGINE temp gauge dies and tow haul flashes

I've read several threads about the tranny temp gauge either pegging hot or bottoming out to cold and the tow haul light flashing w/ check gauges popping on and the universal consensus seems to be the tranny temp sensor.

Today I developed a similar problem on the ride home after changing the A/C evaporator core on my 04 F250. However, my tranny temp gauge remained even. It was my engine temp gauge that bottomed out. Same check gauges light, same hard shift that I've read about here, but the engine gauge. Trouble is, in a 4 mile stretch of road, it happened 3 times. The gauge would peg, the light would flash and CG light came on then a minute later, everything went back to normal. A mile or so later, it happens again.

Is it possible that I bumped some wiring connection loose when I was fooling around the evaporator core housing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2014, 02:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Update in case someone else has a similar issue. I drove it this morning and had the temp gauge come up and die several times in a 5 mile run. When the gauge would die, the tow haul light came on, tranny kicked down and rpms went up. A minute or two later, the dummy gauge would go back to normal and all was right again until it happened again. When I got to the shop, I let it idle and noticed a slight bounce in the temp needle.

Killed the engine and started searching connections. I finally found two chaffed and touching wires going to the engine temp sensor on the thermostat housing. Repaired those good with tape, disconnected the battery to reset the CEL and so far (knock on wood... it IS a 6.0 afterall) the problem seems to be fixed.
Old 09-13-2014, 06:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i have a 2005 f350 6.0. the tow haul light started flashing then the engine light came on. the trans temp gauge goes from normal to cold (back and forth) . i had the temp sensor replaced yesterday and its started doing same thing again today (not towing anything) any suggestions or ideas??
Old 09-13-2014, 12:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I'd look for a chaffed wire or bad connection somewhere. My chaffed wire issue caused all sorts of other problems. My air conditioner compressor would get in a bind or quit engaging, the temp gauge would fluctuate up or down, and my tranny would hard shift or go into limp mode whenever the tow-haul light started flashing. Once I found the chaffed wire, my issues were resolved.
The Following User Says Thank You to lmorgan For This Useful Post:
buckin71 (09-14-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.