And so it begins - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2014, 02:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
And so it begins

Long, long time reader first post. After 6 years of searching I finally found the rig of my dreams...2005 Excursion w quad captains chairs, low miles (83k), and in excellent stock condition.

Now persuing the dream of actually making this beast reliable. Currently if I push her hard (Cruise at 80, 94 degrees ambient, crossing Jellico mountain Tn, and full load of people and gear from vaca) I can get ECT 196 & EOT 235. Keeping it as easy as I can, it stays around ECT 192 & EOT 212. Running Rotella syn 5w40 with FP Diesel Extreme and Hot Shot Secrete at most fill-ups to sooth things until I can get all this stuff installed. No leaks, no drips, no puking, no smoke so hoping head gasket/studs are still good. Budget is tapped so no go the ARP's just yet.

This hauler will be making fairly routine 2400 mile road trips pulling around 8000# of people, boat and gear.

I will have in my hands, sometime in the next couple of days, the following items to install.

River City EGR Delete Kit
IPR external oil cooler with high flow coolant filter
PHP Atlas 40 FICM tune
Upgraded Dummy plugs & Standpipes
Upgraded STC fitting
Upgraded HPOP Filter

Is there anything else easy to do/easy on the wallet I can do while the hood is up?

Next round of mods will be a SCT Tuner (for the CEL delete and maybe a little bump in performance, not looking for a smoke roller) and a exhaust. Are there any real world benefits to going bigger than a 4" turbo back exhaust? Mainly looking for better MPG.

Thanks in advance!! This Forum rocks!

Last edited by The_X; 07-28-2014 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Screwed it up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2014, 11:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I run everything you listed and then some. Word of advice, stretch the budget and get the ARP's while you have the top-end apart. Mine gaskets weren't blown when i did the IPR kit but I had my heads pulled, decked, magnafluxed and pressure checked and installed with new OEM gaskets for peace of mind. Best money i spent on this truck!
Old 07-29-2014, 11:48 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Fix the pick up in the tank or put in a sump for those up hill 1/4 tank of fuel issues.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

OCVeloMan, You recall about how much that head work costs you? I haven't found a local diesel shop yet that I trust to do that kinda work. Not saying there isn't one around just not had any recommendations yet. Appreciate the advice. I hadn't really even considered that. How many miles were on your motor when you had that done?

Last edited by The_X; 07-29-2014 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Screwed it up again
Old 07-29-2014, 12:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Heavy_GD, I already encountered that last weekend at the boat ramp. Completely freaked me out. Had about a 1/4 tank and when I started to pull out it was definitely starving for fuel. What is this sump you speak of? Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to The_X For This Useful Post:
Heavy_GD (07-30-2014)
Old 07-29-2014, 12:18 PM
American and Proud

XDP Black Anodized Diesel Fuel Tank Sump Kit
The Following User Says Thank You to junior125 For This Useful Post:
The_X (07-29-2014)
Old 07-29-2014, 01:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_X View Post
OCVeloMan, You recall about how much that head work costs you? I haven't found a local diesel shop yet that I trust to do that kinda work. Not saying there isn't one around just not had any recommendations yet. Appreciate the advice. I hadn't really even considered that. How many miles were on your motor when you had that done?
I think i was in the headwork $1,000-$1,500, it was a couple years ago so i'm not 100%. Here's my thread on my build though:

IPR Remote Oil Cooler, EGR Cooler, and Coolant Filter! So it begins! (Part 2)

More pictures:

IPR Kit Update!

Last edited by OCVeloMan; 07-29-2014 at 01:26 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

OCVeloMan...Ahhh, I'm very familiar with your thread just didnt catch the author. To dang weird I titled my thread the same as yours. Not on purpose I promise. I will try to rename mine just to prevent any confusion on your most excellent and informative post. And we have almost the same stuff. Again, not on purpose, but makes me feel a whole lot better about my choices.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_X View Post
OCVeloMan...Ahhh, I'm very familiar with your thread just didnt catch the author. To dang weird I titled my thread the same as yours. Not on purpose I promise. I will try to rename mine just to prevent any confusion on your most excellent and informative post. And we have almost the same stuff. Again, not on purpose, but makes me feel a whole lot better about my choices.
Lol, don't sweat it. I don't own that phrase!
Old 07-31-2014, 07:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Couple hours in to the tear down and have some questions.

The motor was pretty much spotless before I started except for the 2 blue coupler sleeves on the ends of the intercooler tube. Both were covered in oily smeg that dust, dirt, smoke was sticking to. There was a small amount of oil in the tube which I think is normal. Anything to be concerned about with the dirty blue boots? Should I replace those boots or just clean them up?

One of FICM wiring harnesses kinda pulled apart a little bit but did snap right back together when trying to get it disconnected from the FICM. Anything to be concerned about? Those things are a B to get off!

Thanks in advance folks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.