'04 F350 Black Smoke / Knocking = Need Help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sixlitremac

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2014, 09:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'04 F350 Black Smoke / Knocking = Need Help

Current Problem:
Hard start, some white smoke initially, smoke increases and turns to black as it warms up, knocking starts to develop during this time, driving around the block reveals no power, engine RPM's increase, speed does not. Feels like a lack of turbo power.

Initial Problem:
Puffs of white smoke, wet EGR valve, oil residue in degas bottle, expected Oil/EGR Cooler failure. Tried to limp home, smoke increased, turned darker and it developed a loud knocking sound. Shut it down, towed it home.

Diagnosing:
Stripped motor down including heads, had broken glow plug tip and intake valve. Installed all 32 intake/exhaust valves, cleaned heads, installed new ford head gaskets w/ ARP head studs, used new injector o-rings and copper washers, stand and dummy pipes, new glow plugs and put the valve covers back on. Next I installed the BPD heavy duty air/oil cooler, BPD EGR cooler, new intake manifold gaskets, new EGR valve gasket and o-rings, new intake manifold bolts, new BPD water pump w/ o-ring, re-installed all cooling system parts and checked for leaks (none). I checked the turbo for obvious problems, compressor wheel looked good, installed new improved turbo drain pipe, IPR screen kit, turbo oil feed tube o-ring and gaskets and installed the turbo. I used titanium exhaust and turbo bolts from BPD and connected the turbo down pipe and exhaust pipes. Installed new glow plug wiring harnesses, and laid the rest of the harnesses into place. I used the new fuel filter o-ring kit and new filters and installed it along with new copper crush washer for the fuel lines. With everything put back together with the exception of the clutch fan assembly I started the truck and had the above problem. I ensured I sealed the turbo down pipe and exahaust pipe again, cleaned out the EBP sensor, checked the MAF sensor and installed the Banks Power air intake kit. Truck started off better, but got worse. Looking for any ideas before spending any more money. Any advice is helpful (No Im not getting rid of the truck).

I still have the Banks technicooler to install, but waiting until it is running right first before I drain the cooling system again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2014, 09:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Update:

Used a buddies scanner, #8 cylinder injector was bad, replaced, black smoke and the knock is gone, white smoke still present with a turbo whistle and power loss.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Do you feel a misfire?

Can you get someone with IDS to perform a balance test while removing the FICM correction for injectors. I feel like the white smoke might be an injector acting up. Or a few..

Have you smelled the white smoke? smells like fuel or coolant?
Old 07-28-2014, 07:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Is there anyway the white smoke is related to the turbo whistle I am hearing. I have checked both CAC boots/connections, the down pipe and y-pipe connection, all look good, will check the EGR cooler connection and check the y-pipe for cracks today after work. I don't have the ability yet to perform the test above, is there a way around it. I will have to smell the exhaust later also for that answer.

From my understanding, with all the crap flowing through the DPF, it could be in regen mode and dumping fuel into the cylinders during the exhaust stroke to burn the crap out. If this is happening, can I unplug the sensor to prevent this from happening while troubleshooting?

Will also disconnect the exhaust system from the down pipe and check to see if it's not just residual fluid in the DPF/Muffler.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Finally success!!!

I re-installed the CAC boots, tighten the down pipe, y-pipe, EGR cooler clamp and the whistle is finally gone. I realized the truck was in regen mode, drove it for awhile and it finally stopped. Everything is working properly, truck runs and sounds great. I will be installing the Banks technicooler probably this weekend. Hope this all helps someone down the road looking for information.
mannythechamp likes this.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

glad you got it solved man
Old 07-30-2014, 01:05 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Glad you solved your problem. Just for reference the 6.0 doesn't use DPF fluid or REgen.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:30 AM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy950 View Post
Glad you solved your problem. Just for reference the 6.0 doesn't use DPF fluid or REgen.
^^^Yeah, had to go back to the original post and read it again, thought maybe OP was talking about a different truck. 6.0L's don't have a DPF.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:02 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Lost me on the regen too...
Old 08-04-2014, 07:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

If it wasn't in REGEN mode, then what possibilities were there, once the smoke went away, so did the performance. It also sounded as if the engine was over-working or something, curious if anyone has an answer. Plus, I have something on the truck before the muffler, I just assumed it was a DPF. Thanks for correcting me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.