Rollin Coal...ole smoky - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2014, 06:59 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rollin Coal...ole smoky

So now that I have the diesel in my oil issue resolved I now have an excessive smoking issue when the truck is cold or sits for 4 or more hours. Once started you can hear a fuel knock and the injectors clattering and she has a slightly ruff idle. I'm thinking a few injectors may be stuck, possibly from sitting so long.Its a nice heavy cloud of white smoke, very fuel smelling. It will smoke as long as it sits there. Once you pull it out on the road and accelerate up to speed its gone for the rest of your drive. I'm figuring the hpo is putting enough pressure into the injectors to free them up. I've also just started running this hotshot oil additive that claims to free up injectors. Keeping my fingers crossed. Has anyone had any luck with this product? Any suggestions to the smoking issue? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2014, 07:19 PM

Are you really sure it is smoke and not largely steam? The steam part will dissipate faster than the smoke. Is it using ANY coolant yet?
Old 07-27-2014, 07:47 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Try archoil 9100 or rev x if it is stiction. Be prepared to replace the injectos sooner later see if it cures it or take it in to due a power contrubution test.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:04 AM

Not steam. Its not using any coolant. It'll burn your eyes out with fumes in the garage. Injectors were done a little over a year ago. Just replaced #7 a month ago and did all the injector orings due to fuel leaking into the oil.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:37 AM

Also how does the oil circulate in the injector oil gallies? It seems like a closed loop on top of the injectors. It looked like to me the oil came in the back fill tube with a check valve bit had no way out. How does any kind d of sticktion fluid get up in there if the y r already full of oil?
Attached Thumbnails
Rollin Coal...ole smoky-20140729_061406.jpg  
Old 07-29-2014, 02:39 AM

BTW that pic is of a cold start up this morning. About 70 out. Went away just before I hit 55mph . so within 30 sec of driving. Not even a puff after that all the way to the job site.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:07 AM

I also pulled a code this morning P0069...map-baro correlation
Old 08-29-2014, 12:55 PM

I had my buddy stop by with his scanner and check everything over. IPR,IPC, ficm voltage, codes etc...everything in spec. Performed an injector test and found that 5 inj were shot, stiction most likely. So I tucked tail and went down to ford and bought all new injectors. After install and start up she ran smooth and drove great. No more skipping when cold. BUT she still smokes like a pig till ya drive her a half a mile. I'm just about tapped out after buying injectors. What else could it be. Turbo seals? Saw a bunch of vids on YouTube with the same problem and they were saying that turbo seals or injectors fixed the problem. Any help would be great. I'm lost and extremely frustrated.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:05 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

If it's only on startup after sitting it seems like it's just leaking into the cylinders. It could be a cracked head at the injector cup. Once the heads warm up the Crack could swell shut enough to slow the flow of fuel into the cylinder(s).
Old 08-30-2014, 05:17 AM

The thing is is it can side there and idle and smoke at operating temp. As soon as I drive it it goes away weather its a cold or hot engine. I did notice a small amount of play in the turbo charge side shaft. As of now I'm not using any coolant, no codes and the exhaust burnts your eyes with fuel . can I unplug injectors one at a time with it running to see if the smoke quits and narrow it down to a specific cylinder?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.