Hard Start/ White Smoke - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2014, 04:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Angry Hard Start/ White Smoke

About the truck.

2004 F250 6.0
78,xxx miles

New fuel filters, oil changed every 5,000 miles.

EGR and Oil cooler just replaced and blue spring upgrade . Also installed a coolant filter and oil bypass filter. Coolant system was cleaned and flushed by Ford before oil cooler was replaced.

Issue- After rinsing my engine bay with a hose and letting her sit for 2 days this starting happening....

Engine Cold (80 degres or so)
Turn key for glow plug light to go out. No injector "buzz". Long start. White smoke like Ive never seen. One or two minutes later she runs great. And will run great at all speeds. Turn her off and turn the key and the injector buzz is there. Wait a day and the process is the same.

In my head I was thinking FICM. Already had and X4 SCT on the way. Hooked it up and FICM voltage is 47.5/48. FICM Logic Power 13.5v/14v FICM ignition 13v/14v

At this point I installed the Street "Can" tune on the Truck. Start up was much better. Much less smoke. But still rough, still no buzz (just when cold), and still a little white to gray smoke that smells of fuel.

Other readings pulled from SCT at

Idle ///// Max at 70-80 mph
Battery V. -- 13.75 -- 14.37
EOT -- 213.92 -- 217.25
ECT -- 196 -- 196
Boost -- 0.72 -- 14.03
Engine Load -- 23.91 -- 92.50
Backpressure -- 119.00 -- 350.25
VGT cycle -- 0.70 -- 0.79
Injection Control -- 3.99 -- 24.55
pressure
Air flow --- 16.00 -- 122.00

They only other symptom i saw was that my ECT and EOT are more then 15 degrees apart. ( this is odd b/c I have a new oil cooler) They aren't much more in the temps listed above but this was a night at about 80 degrees. I noticed today at 100 degrees that the Oil temp comes up to 229 max and the coolant temp at around 206.

Please help! Thanks ahead of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2014, 07:35 PM

Your temps are not a good sign but hard to explain given the new parts. I wonder if they got all the air out of the system, especially given the addition of non-stock parts now in the flow. Also, were they plumbed/routed correctly?

But that is likely separate from your start issues which sound like it could be the FICM. Are you seeing that voltage while cranking at the times it doesn't start easily? (It can vary by a lot and especially when cranking). The lack of injector clatter at those times may be the key but I don't have enough experience with it to advise on that.

BTW, if a dealer did the work then I assume they installed the Gold coolant again? That really should be considered willful malpractice.

On a side note, running the correct coolant in a new or newly repaired system, I question the need for these expensive additions unless you are regularly towing heavy loads through the hills. Seems to me there has been a bit if R&D to address the symptom before the real cause was resolved, and now fear-marketing to keep selling to people who don't really need them. Any thoughts on that?
Old 07-28-2014, 03:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I installed all of the aftermarket parts (watched over closely by a Ford Tech friend). Im 99% sure it was don't correctly. Ford did do the flush and chemical. Yes it has Ford Gold.

Update- I wanted to make sure my SCT was reading my temps correctly so I hooked it up this afternoon after letting it sit 20 or so hours. ECT 92.00 /// EOT started out at 188.XX then fell slowly over 30 mins. Fell to 106.XX and bounced between 107 and 106.

What does this mean? Bad Scanner? Senor?

I will check the FICM voltage in the morning. Thank you for your input.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Angry Please Help

Update- FICM volts on start up 47/48 volts. But after riding for an hour or so I noticed the min. FICM dropped to 43 volts.

Also smoke is gone on start up. So thats good. Start is still rough and rough idles for a few seconds or until I give her a little throttle. Today she started (with very faint injector "buzz" then stalled. Turned her over again and she started but still started rough.

Hot start is still good with injector "buzz" normal.

My conclusion is I sprayed water on the FICM and fried it. Your thoughts?

SCT X4 is having issues reading correct EOTs, could I have a bad scanner?
Old 08-01-2014, 11:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

FICM

Update

Batteries were load tested today and both were good.

However start up today when cold FICM voltage dropped to 43 volts. But when she's hot the voltage stays at 47.50 to 48 volts.

Im guessing vibration and heat killed my FICM (or water when I washed to engine bay.)

Before I send my FICM in could some one please let me know what they think. Thanks
Old 08-01-2014, 02:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ficm voltage being low could cause a hard start only cold. Reason being cold your truck is pulling current not only to make the voltage to fire but its also pulling current for the glow plugs. Weak ficms will cause smoke on start up but normally voltage will be lower than 43 before really showing signs in warm weather. Its where i would start though being a known issue.

One other easy to check is pull the egr after it sits overnight to be sure it isnt faulty and leaking coolant
into your intake manifold. Where you describe as a fuelly smell your probably on right track with ficm
Old 08-01-2014, 03:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Cancel checking cooler..just saw delete in signature
Old 08-01-2014, 03:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Also ficm can cause weak injector buzz..
Old 08-02-2014, 01:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I will be doing a FICM check with a voltmeter tomorrow. Not trusting the SCT. This will confirm.

Would it do this just getting wet? Sounds crazy to me.
Old 08-12-2014, 01:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

All is good

Thank you to those who offered help. All is good now. Sent my FICM to Ed at FICM Repair. Upgraded every thing and put the Atlas 40 tune on it. Put in all back together and she runs great!!

Turns out my oil temp sensor just needed to be cleaned. I also had my coolant level a little high (mixture). All temps within 7 degrees now!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.