Random Acceleration and Stalling - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2014, 05:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Random Acceleration and Stalling

Truck Info: 2004 CCSB Arp Head Studs, coolant filter, fresh oil cooler, ELC coolant,blue spring, EGR Delete, stc Livewire with Matts @gearheads SRL+

Driving at a low engine speed per say a light cruise with very partial throttle the truck suddenly, jerks forward and begins to accelerate without my foot being pressed down. i back off and the truck will loose some power then give it some gas and it will suddenly surge back. Very randomly at a stop light will it start bouncing around the idle. Finally today it died out on me at a light started rigth back up. Sometimes on Start ups she fires right up, kinda like dies and and picks right back and smooths out. She is not misfiring, she runs smoothlyyy when shes not acting up, if i go disabling injector by injector there is a noticeable misfire.

Things ive done:

Icp is reading steady and not dancing around, and IPR seems to be steady, the issue has been happenign more periodically now, to the point that it does it every time you drive it.

Ideas that I have: Maybe some stuff has accumulated in the IPR valve from when i did the Oil Cooler about 5k ago, and its not letting it operate as it should..

Maybe my ICP is bad although i dont have Codes and it reads what seems to me as proper operating pressures
or maybe im having a low fuel pressure issue and it straightens out when it increases in pressure.

I am going to Check for Fuel pressure on monday if i can hopefully find a fitting to thread in there,(any tips on that?)
and I am going to remove the IPR to see if the screen has blown and its functioning as it should..

Anyone have any other ideas ? Or other suggestions on places to check ?

I have noticed that the truck is acting up more with the tune than without the tune, which would make sense since the tune requires more fuel.

Any input is appreciated thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2014, 06:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

what are you checking codes with ?
Old 07-26-2014, 07:21 PM
Premium Member

More than likely you need to install a new IPR. The valve may stick at any point making it totally not follow accel pedal position. You would see runaway or low power, depending on when it sticks.
The Following User Says Thank You to twoicebergs For This Useful Post:
mannythechamp (07-27-2014)
Old 07-26-2014, 08:06 PM

You say ICP is steady and not changing more or less in sync with the incorrect accel/decel? That seems to rule out the IPR sticking, though that sounds right otherwise.

How are you monitoring those? If AutoEnginuity or similar, log all the relevant values while you drive and it may become obvious.

I can see low fuel pressure making it drag, but given how these injectors work I'm not do sure high fuel pressure would cause unintended acceleration.

I have no idea if fluctuating FICM voltage can explain the acceleration either, but another thing to monitor/log.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
what are you checking codes with ?
I checked for codes with an autoland scanner I have, usually gives me the right PCM codes, and the scanner also allows me to disable injectors, one at a time. I'm still trying to find someone with IDS that can scan the car for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoicebergs View Post
More than likely you need to install a new IPR. The valve may stick at any point making it totally not follow accel pedal position. You would see runaway or low power, depending on when it sticks.
I thought this as well, since the car had done this once, then never did it again in one month. Suddenly after a 4 hour drive period on the highway, it began to do it every day more and more frequently. Now after another 4 hour drive period back home it does it pretty much all the time. Making me think running the oil for that long extended time has made some **** lodge in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjsche View Post
You say ICP is steady and not changing more or less in sync with the incorrect accel/decel? That seems to rule out the IPR sticking, though that sounds right otherwise.

How are you monitoring those? If AutoEnginuity or similar, log all the relevant values while you drive and it may become obvious.

I can see low fuel pressure making it drag, but given how these injectors work I'm not do sure high fuel pressure would cause unintended acceleration.

I have no idea if fluctuating FICM voltage can explain the acceleration either, but another thing to monitor/log.
They way i check for ICP and IPR motion was with the livewire, upon a stall or accel, both ICP and IPR fluctuate correspondingly, with whats going on, for instance the truck will begin to accelerate my ICP increases as the IPR opens. This is without any difference in gas pedal motion from me. What i meant to say up top was that when it does idle properly and when she doesn't misbehave both reading are where they should ICP sits at around 550 to 600 and IPR is around 20 to 21.

Thank you guys today I will remove the IPR valve and take a look at it today, see if that's the issue having. I will report my findings later.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Well I just removed the IPR valve and this is what it looks like..
Any ideas on wether you guys thinks its okay or not i am going to remove the screen and take a look inside and see if its okay..

Old 07-27-2014, 04:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Update: I took out the screen cleaned it very nicely with brake cleaner i also pressed the valve down, and sprayed it down with brake cleaner i was surprised that stuff actually came out. I put everything back together and drove the truck around, so far the issue hasn't happened yet, I'm praying that this was the issue and that i have rid the problem.

I will keep you guys posted for future reference and a follow up.

Thanks Manny
bgraiders323 likes this.
Old 07-27-2014, 04:44 PM
Premium Member

One thing that some people seem to forget, is that the IPR is a commanded position and that even small changes, that seem normal, for ICP can lead to unexpected acceleration or sluggish results, especially if the FICM, turbo or timing change for the anticipated IPR change. Glad to see you may have saved this one.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:02 PM

Well done!
Old 07-27-2014, 08:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I've continued to drive the truck and still no issues have flared up. I will change the oil tomorrow afternoon and install a new oil filter. I genuinely feel this happened after I took on doing the oil cooler/head gaskets and what not. I definitely did not use a lint free towel in the valley/ or compressed air, so I"m sure all of this stuff found its way onto the IPR valve with the constant pressure during both 4 hour highway trips.

Do you guys think I should drive it and within a few weeks take it apart and check for more **** on the screen? Or since the screen on the valley by the oil cooler is new and no more dirt should be present there, then I should have captured all the garbage?

The truck has put on 3k miles since the oil cooler job, if that matters..

Thanks for all the help guys!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.