Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Injectors filling cylinders with key on engine off.

2K views 21 replies 3 participants last post by  midnite 
#1 ·
After pulling the heads on a 2006 6.0 I noticed that someone had used a fire extinguisher on the drivers side around the fire wall area,ipr valve was covered also. I'm thinking that the heat screwed up the plastic coating on wires in the harness but didn't effect anything until I moved them to remove the heads. Fuel is going into the cylinders with the key turned on and engine not running causing hydro lock on both sides. Thinking injectors are being commanded to stay open. Doe's this sound right to anyone else?

#5 ·
Injectors are from the dealer. yes idled great for about an hour. drove great for about a mile and a half then shut down. after cooling engine would start but run rough and started smoking out the exhaust and around they pipe connection coming off turbo. towed it back to shop with a chain. had the key on to steer. once i got there It was hydro locked. pulled injectors on right side and bumped starter fuel blew #1 but still hydro locked on drivers side.

#15 ·
OK, let's back up! If you remove an injector and you turn on the key, you are pumping fuel straight into the cylinder!!! Of course you will get fuel in the cylinder.

Just an electrical problem will not cause a hydro-lock. Typically from fuel it is due to an O-ring failure or bad installation and possibly from a stuck open or broken nozzle, especially as it drains into the cylinder after stopping. If it was H2O it would most likely come from a bad EGR cooler or possibly from bad headgaskets after the engine is shut off (residual pressure), or possibly a bad injector cup. Lastly, you could have a massive failure of the head.

#18 ·
Milling the head will not cause a leak, but may cause piston and valve interference (or destruction).

#20 ·
Problem solved. Pulled glow plugs on left and right side,drained cylinders and changed wiring harness. Truck would not start after countless cranking. Could not here glow plugs clicking so I was checking relay in the power distribution box and sparks started coming out from underneath. When the truck had caught fire some time in the past someone jury rigged the wiring. Truck runs great now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.