2006 f250 died now wont start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2014, 10:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2006 f250 died now wont start

So I now have a 06 f250 to add to my 08 f450 that wont start. On the 06 I did an egr cooler and oil cooler replacement. Managed to catch it before it popped the heads. Had it running in my bay for 2 days even drove it about 80 miles total with no issues. Drive it to the fuel station and before i get there cel pops on and truck dies. p2290 I think it was rail pressure low. Get it back to the shop and cranking fuel rail shows 452 psi and desired is 850 I think on the scanner. truck has 113000 miles on it. It is at the shop I work at and they keep burying me in ford diesels. I personally own a 03 f250 that i did a delete kit and filter kit on and have had no issues. I really need some help here. no one has replied to my other post yet. I am dieing over here lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2014, 10:42 PM
Premium Member

Not sure as I am still a newb to these 6.0 guys but would imagine its ipr/pump/or a leak somewhere but not sure how a leak looks on the gauges.

Watching that video it looks like to check the ipr first to see how the screen looks.

Another thing as I am not sure how it looks when they go bad but dont the 05 and later have stand pipes, dummy plugs, and sct fitting that needs to be updated to the new version because they could go bad. I think the SCT fitting comes out or something like that and makes it not allow the pump to build pressure?
Old 07-20-2014, 11:42 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Seeing as you just did the oil cooler I'd guess that somehow some debris got in the HPOP and has plugged up the IPR and contaminated it. I'd start by pulling the IPR out and see what you find. If you find debris on the screen and it looks pushed into the IPR you'll need to replace the IPR. If you don't see anything there then you need to pressure test the high pressure oil system and see if you hear any leaks.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

so I let it sit in the shop until this morning talked to the boss as to what to do next decided to give it a shot and it started ran about 30 minutes and i go to move it and it went 20 feet and died so hpop ipr and sct ordered. I hope it fixes it
Old 07-26-2014, 10:42 AM
Powerstroke Techie

You still not building ICP pressure? Is it only when warm? Did you pressure test the high pressure system and see if you could isolate it?

It does sound like a high pressure oil issue, but it could be something as simple as a high pressure oil leak like an injector o-ring or dummy plug issue. I'd be trying to diagnose it down a little bit more before throwing a lot of parts at it. The 05+ HPOP's are actually pretty tough and aren't prone to failure much.
Old 07-26-2014, 04:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I went to pull it in today and it built just enough rail pressure to start. once I got it inside i decided to throttle the crap out of it and my rial pressure went over 2000 psi so i sent back the hpop. I got busy with other things so i didn't get the ipr pulled. that will have to wait until monday
Old 07-26-2014, 07:24 PM

Geez you guys are quick to order expensive parts and tear things down to the bone!

I'll bet you an expensive lunch (you must come here to collect ) that your IPR screen is clogged. Did you use a shop rag or anything to wipe out the well where the oil cooler goes? It is a rough casting and even a very small amount of fibers caught on it will go directly to the IPR, guaranteed. As someone above already noted, your scenario fits that exactly, or some other debris from that service ended up flowing through.

Get an IPR socket and check it. A minor PIA compared to almost anything else it might be. If the screen is damaged, replace it, but either way pry it off very gently and clean from inside out with brake cleaner. Make sure nothing got past the screen and into the valve. With a little effort you should be able to blow air through it by mouth. Add 6v or more and you should not be able to blow through it. The click when it actuates may be very slight,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.