Injector Help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2014, 12:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Injector Help

I am looking at buying a 2003 Excursion with the 6.0L Powerstroke in it. This will be my first diesel, so I am an extreme newbie on this. I had it checked out by the local Ford dealership and they found that 1, 2, 3, and 8 injectors failed the power balance test. When I talked to the small dealership that has it, they said they have it in their shop and 1 and 3 were bad. They are going to fix these, but said that 2 and 8 were fine. What are the chances that the Ford dealership's scan was incorrect? I don't want to buy a new vehicle and have to replace injectors right away. Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2014, 01:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Injector Help

I just talked to the dealer and they are not replacing the injectors. They told me they just weren't seated well. Has anyone heard of this?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Last edited by camaro_fanatic2003; 07-17-2014 at 03:25 PM.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:43 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

nope. if they aren't seated well you will have big problems. not a miss, your truck will start running off of oil that is seeping past the O-rings. have them show you the scan of the power balance. it should give you a pretty straight line. when injectors start dropping, you can see it very clearly.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:10 PM

Also, if an injector is not seated right, you'll most likely have a smell of raw diesel fuel out the tail pipe. If two injectors were not seated right, I'd imagine that the truck would be really sick. I'd want to see them do the contribution test live and in person. As jeby64 said, when an injector or injectors aren't contributing, its easy to see on the IDS or a capable scan tool.
Old 07-20-2014, 04:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The Ford dealer told me it was misfiring and had low power. The place that I'm buying it from told me they would hook the laptop up to it and have it running while we drove it around so I could see they were all running right. What should I be looking for a far as what kind of numbers it should be running. Thanks!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 07-20-2014, 05:50 AM
Premium Member

After the work, you want to see a power-balance test, preferably from a cold, and I mean cold, start. It is quite possible the o-rings and proper torque/installation were the problem.

Quote:
What are the chances that the Ford dealership's scan was incorrect?
Highly unlikely due to the ability to remove the PCM/ECU correction to low injectors. You may find those are OK, but slightly weak injectors. Remember, this is an 03, so if the injectors are original, they may be very close to their service life, as 03s do not have DLC coated plungers and they will wear out.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:13 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoicebergs View Post
After the work, you want to see a power-balance test, preferably from a cold, and I mean cold, start. It is quite possible the o-rings and proper torque/installation were the problem.

Highly unlikely due to the ability to remove the PCM/ECU correction to low injectors. You may find those are OK, but slightly weak injectors. Remember, this is an 03, so if the injectors are original, they may be very close to their service life, as 03s do not have DLC coated plungers and they will wear out.
I agree with him. ^^ More then likely it does have injector issues. They probably aren't as bad when warmed up which is why there trying to have you drive around with them when it's warm.

How many miles are on it?
Old 07-20-2014, 01:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It has 126,500 miles on it.
Old 07-20-2014, 05:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Should I have the car lot take it back to the Ford dealership to have it re-inspected after all the work is done?
Old 07-20-2014, 08:28 PM

My thought would be, if one or more of the injectors aren't torqued down, then somebody has had them out? Why did they take them out? Did they replace them, and then not get them in hole right? If that's the case, those definately need new o-rings and crush washers, which isn't a big deal. But, as mentioned above, you're most likely toward the end of your factory original injectors service life. Demand to see the contribution test done from stone cold start up and YOU look to see what the scan shows alongside the tech.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.