Rough idle at start and rough while driving - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2014, 08:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rough idle at start and rough while driving

This problem just started. When I started my truck this morning I have a very rough idle and I can hear the engine making a loud "cha cha cha cha" sound (not singing sweetly to me tho). It's my daily driver and I had to go to work so I was hoping driving it would kind of work thru the problem but it didn't, as I was going down the freeway and hit about 52mph and about 1500RPM the truck shook like hell. So I hit the gas some and it smoothed out but I could still hear it. I don't know much about diesel and I'm learning as I go. If it was a gas engine I'd say I've got a miss and say it's the plug/wires but I know this doesn't have anything like that and I'm hoping it's not an injector. Would an exhaust leak or vacuum leak make it that rough or would an injector be a likely culprit? I had the FICM rebuilt at FICMrepair.com and did the 2 year warranty before they offered the lifetime. Either way any help or ideas would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2014, 08:36 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Have you hooked it up to a data monitor? A lot of symptoms can look like a lot of things; without values, it is hard to help.

Get a scanner on there, read FICM power, ICP, IPR, etc. Do an injector buzz/contribution test and the like. Once you do that, we can take the results and determine a better plan of action.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Took it to a buddy at a Ford store, said #2 injector was gone. Had a feeling but I can't be without my truck so I'm having him replace it.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eevulone View Post
Took it to a buddy at a Ford store, said #2 injector was gone. Had a feeling but I can't be without my truck so I'm having him replace it.
It is highly recommended to replace all 4 injectors on one side if one goes; all 8 if possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.