Bad lope at idle - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2014, 11:00 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bad lope at idle

Need some help here. So after some work my truck is having a hard time at idle or when you give it fuel and have to come off the pedal completely. This is regardless of cold or hot. Goes away once rpms are up (say over a 1000). The high idle mod when on it runs smooth. Driving down the freeway it runs smooth. When I first start it will idle up to about 650, run smooth for about 5 or so seconds then settle out and start loping, then it will smooth out and idle fine. If I give it a touch of fuel then let off throttle it drops back into the lope for a little bit then smooths back out. The lop generally last for a little while when it starts until it smooths out. Sometimes it last longer then others.

Today it stalled out when I let off the fuel and had to come to a quick stop.

There are no codes coming up via my CS or SCT x4. Throttle response is good as far as I can tell, power is good, no smoke or anything abnormal from tail pipe.

Ive got tunes by Gearhead running slr, it did this before the tune though fyi.

History of work I did before this happened. When I had the truck new it ran ok but didnt do this lope thing. ICP sensor was leaking oil.
I went in and replaced oil cooler, exhaust 4 inch, MTW stage 1, front engine cover with new water pump from 05 truck, new lpop, fresh coolant (twice lol), first oil change 5.40 syn, just changed it again. New oil filters and fuel filters oem. New rebuilt FICM also.

I replaced the ICP sensor and rewired the pig tail, got a new one coming just incase but it should be good. Replaced the IPR filter and the one under the oil cooler. IPR filter was good just slightly concave.

I just replaced the oil tonight with rotella 5 40 syn, and added some archoil to it. Gonna drive it tomorrow and see if that helps. Any ideas are welcome. Ill try and get a video of it doing it tomorrow after work.

Last edited by Quint; 07-13-2014 at 11:03 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2014, 05:10 PM
Premium Member

Ok guys here is a half A video (cell phone) but hopefully ya guys can give me a little insight as to what the issue may be.

Driving it today the oil change and archoil seemed to help a tad or its my imagination either way.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/jZSMdniB8TI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Not sure why its not imbedding so here is the link.

Last edited by Quint; 07-14-2014 at 05:15 PM.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Link not working
Old 07-14-2014, 05:21 PM
Premium Member

Try hitting play now, should work.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

It worked. Is this something that just started?
Old 07-14-2014, 05:41 PM
Premium Member

It started after I did all the maintenance/replacement stuff I mentioned in the first post. I spent about 3 weeks with teardown and ordering parts and what not. When I got it all put back together and started it up this is what started happening.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:16 PM
Premium Member

Well replaced the icp pigtail with a new one. Replaced the wires back about a foot past the pig tail wires. Soldered the joints.

Still same issue. Reinstalled the slr tune (even though it was doing this before that tune) to see if that would help but same thing.

Only thing I can think of is the injectors. If anyone has had sticky injectors and had similar issues would like to know about it.

Thanks for any input. Oh and still no codes.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:51 PM
Premium Member

Open to any other ideas.

Can idle be off on these trucks for some reason, like if I raise the idle a bit is that not recommended or is it no big deal?

Trying to find other trouble shooting areas so.....

possible the ypipe is leaking pretty bad (maybe I didnt get it lined up correctly but dont think so)

maybe the tranny is not shifting properly and thus trying to kill the engine basically

Thinking of pulling the injectors to do the stichin (sp) clean up on them but would prefer not to.

Oh another thing I have not had the truck flashed and have no idea when the last time it was updated from the dealer, is this something that would be a good idea to try and have done? I think there were a few fixes in the programming over the life of the 03 but not sure.

Open to any ideas or suggestions.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:19 PM
Premium Member

Well followed the stiction thread and removed the driver side injectors and cleaned them up a tad and put new orings and copper ring in. Seems to pretty much have gotten rid of the lope thing for now. Only done one test drive so far so will see how it does in the morning. May try doing the passenger side as well.

I think these are original injectors so would have about 170k on them, they are probably on there last leg.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Did you ever get anyone to run a power balance/ cylinder contribution test?

What did you do to the injectors? Cleaned and sanded the spool valves?

Did it rid of the problem completely?

If it did, I recommend you try and get a cylinder contribution test and compare both banks and see if you can notice that the even number cylinders are now running better than the odd# ones.. Since you remedied those (driver side) also after go ahead and do the other bank and get another oil change in there with a fresh filter..

Keep us posted!

GL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.