coolant temps reaching 240 and loosing coolant - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2014, 07:09 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
coolant temps reaching 240 and loosing coolant

Truck is an 04 250 FX4 ccsb 6.0
approx 160,000 miles
blew the heads at 90,000 and were supposedly redone then. Dude said he used ARP studs but lied... New oil cooler and a 06 EGR installed then

10/11 140,000 miles the FICM was bad and 3 injectors. Replaced all 8 injectors and FICM at Powerstroke specialty. I know I know you dont have to say it

Truck ran great for a while... it is just my weekend truck anyway

10/2013
151,000 miles the turbo went. Installed a new powermax as well as new boots for cooler pipes. Flushed coolant,new water pump and thermostat.

About 7 weeks ago I got tired of the bad milage so I removed the Banks six gun and saw Jay at PHP to get a SCT X4 tuner, Insight CTS for gauges, and a FICM tune. Am still waiting for my custom tunes.....
Was like a new truck again!! The milage went back up to 18 mpg from the 14 I had been getting and it was fun to drive again.
Was going to head from Atlanta to Pigeon Forge friday so I checked everything out and the fluids were good and then decided to go ahead and install one of the pre loaded SCT tunes. Put the performance tune on it and did a quick drive. Ran good and less smoke than I had before.

Now to the trouble...
Truck ran good at 70mph all the way to Cherokee NC at normal temps 180 or so. The oil stayed within 5-8 degrees of coolant. Once I hit traffic in town the coolant spiked up to 230. It kept fluctuating from 190 to 230 going up the smoky mountains. Once we got to Pigeon forge we staopped and let it cool for bout 1 1/2 hrs and added 1 gal of distilled water to degas bottle. Showed no signs of puking and has about a 1 yr old Ford cap.
Continued to stay about 190-200 degrees that day around town.
Left early the next morning and made it home with coolant max at 196 going up mountain and leveled out at 185 most of trip.
Looked today and no coolant in bottle at all now and can see residue under the truck all the way back to the trans plate. Do not see a positive area of leaking anywhere but the back driver side head is wet and the front is dry.

Sorry for the long post just wanted to give as much info as I could.
What would you do?
Thanks for any help you can give
Erik
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2014, 07:14 AM

Oh yeah
No codes are showing at this time
I did clean the EGR valve before we left. Was dirty but not clogged or excessive soot buildup.
Oil shows no signs of coolant at the dipstick
Old 07-13-2014, 08:54 AM
information regurgitator

My guess? Waterpump
Old 07-13-2014, 10:12 AM

Maybe. Looks like everyone speaks highly of the bpd water pumps.
Just ordered the chemicals to do a full flush.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:47 AM
Premium Member

everyone speaks highly of BPD I dont think they make a part that isnt superior
just a thought but check out your degass bottle real well too. mine had a slight crack pinhole I didnt even see at first but it was leaking and scaring the hell out of me. turned out to be an easy fix...my favorite kind
Old 07-14-2014, 09:59 AM

I pulled the EGR valve again last night and there was some moisture inside. Not standing coolant but was not dry like when I cleaned it before we left.

I am thinking about just going ahead and doing a pressure test to check the head gaskets out....
Then a full flush and add in a coolant filter. I expect this will clog up the oil cooler so then go ahead and install a new factory oil cooler and a bulletproof EGR cooler. Might as well do the blue spring while I am there. As well as a new water pump and degas cap.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:20 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vannutz View Post
I pulled the EGR valve again last night and there was some moisture inside. Not standing coolant but was not dry like when I cleaned it before we left.

I am thinking about just going ahead and doing a pressure test to check the head gaskets out....
Then a full flush and add in a coolant filter. I expect this will clog up the oil cooler so then go ahead and install a new factory oil cooler and a bulletproof EGR cooler. Might as well do the blue spring while I am there. As well as a new water pump and degas cap.
Do you think it was just damp from oil? Mine was damp with what I thought was coolant, but when I pulled the intake it was actually oil from the value I'm assuming.

If it were me I would go ahead and do the restore/restore + flush in advance of doing the oil cooler. Let all the crap clog the old oil cooler and keep your new one fresh. After my flush I wasn't quick to add new coolant. I just left it with distilled water for a week or two of daily driving. And when I finally pulled the oil cooler it was packed half full of crap. I could literally take a screw driver and pull out huge clods of muck from the coolant side.

Also, add a filter on that coolant system if you don't have one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.