Buddy's '06 problems - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2014, 07:33 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Buddy's '06 problems

Friend of mine has been having problems with his '06. Initially it was puking coolant from his degas bottle, so he opted for a EGR delete. After it was installed, he had some serious oil losses thus taking it back to a different shop. At shop #2 he had a new OEM oil cooler installed. Now his truck is still losing coolant from degas bottle and he's blowing white smoke upon acceleration from the dead stop. Doesn't last too long, but it happens every time. I'm at a loss as to the problem. Mechanic #2 says it could be fuel problems, but wouldn't the smoke be black if it were over fueling? The head bolts/gaskets are the original ones and he's been running an SCT with mild tune (+50 hp). What gives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2014, 08:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Head gaskets

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 07-07-2014, 08:40 PM

Yeah, that's what I was thinking as well. Bud just doesn't want to hear this news, but he needs to hear it. I asked him to strongly consider the full route when he did the cat delete but he didn't want to lay out that much money. Now he's already a couple of thou into it and will have to basically re-do what's already been done, so to speak.

I appreciate it.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:45 PM

No prob. I'm dealing with mine possibly starting to leak. No where near what ur friend is experiencing but u never want to hear it. I want to do mine myself but won't have time or space in shop till winter. but if It fails the pressure test tomo I have to for the first time trust someone else to take care of my stuff.... Which I hate. Anyway good luck

Old 07-08-2014, 06:24 AM

Wait is his egr cooler deleted? If not replace that first. Then run test on head gaskets. Sorry I thought I read he replaced that already

Old 07-08-2014, 08:51 AM
Premium Member

Why did shop to install a new oil cooler? The only way oil can escape an oil cooler is via it rupturing into the coolant system.

White smoke is generally EGR related but since you said he deleted that my next guess would be fuel related. Is there any codes?

I would try putting it on stock (no tune) and see if that makes it better or worse.

I would also install a PSI gauge on the coolant system before calling it headgaskets. And make sure you are filling it to the correct fill line. And verify your coolant is clean and of the proper mix ration, and your degas cap is updated....there are so many 'ands'
Old 07-08-2014, 12:39 PM

Yes, the first shop stop was to delete the EGR cooler. The second shop flushed his cooling system and installed a new cooler - which I believe he told me was a Ford part.

One thing I missed, and he told me today, was after the second shop installed the cooler, the mechanic took the truck out and got into it pretty hard. It was after this he began to see the white exhaust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.