Fuel pressure/boost.....so lost :( - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2014, 10:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy Fuel pressure/boost.....so lost :(

So about a month and a half ago i decided to install my fuel pressure gauge and blue spring mod. I also put in a s&b intake. So once i finished up installing but the fuel psi was about 61-62 at idle but as im leaving the drive way it wouldnt boost more than 8psi.

I have a edge and put it to 0 to make sure it wasnt a tuning issue but still after some driving it would boost over 14lbs. I then for some work for a few weeks and yesterday i had gotten my new fuel filters(motorcraft) and decided ill do them one at a time. Replaced the upper one and then psi was right at 60-62! Thought hell yea! Drove around about 5-10 miles but still boost now still wont go over 17psi. I used to easily hit 25ish even in stock. Now i also recently installed a new egr valve. Had it unplugged for about 3k miles. So i though maybe thats why the boost is low? So i stop get out shut off the truck and unplug it...fire her back up and fuel psi just goes to 40-42....f*ck. get her home with still not being able to boost like before and then i decided lets pull the top filter again. Pull it and put it back psi goes back to 60! Let it idle and one more drive around. Call it a day. Next morning i get it and start it, back to 40 so i do the filter on the lower end and same same result. 60 at first and start it a couple hours later boom back to 40 all with the same sad boost levels. I dont think there is a boost leak i only removed the piping that goes into the egr and i put that on pretty tight. And the intake before input the s&b was afe progaurd magnum. If anybody has any idea what this could be please feel free to chime in!! Im thinking that the low fuel pressure might be affecting the boost. And yes there is loss of power. But i dont know whats up the fuel psi unfortunately i didnt test before the spring oh and the fuel gauge is a isspro evoII i used the strictly diesel hose out of the bowl test fitting and routes to the driver side firewall to the transducer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2014, 07:06 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Fuel pressure/boost.....so lost :(

Did you check the CAC boots for damage, especially the 45* boot coming off the turbo, you may have to pull the boot off to inspect, sometimes the damage can be right under the clamp. Check the Map hose for damage and remove hose to clean out hose and fitting that goes in the intake. Check your EBP sensor for plug/wire damage, clean out EBP tubing going from sensor to manifold. Cracked or damaged y-pipe/up-pipe flex joints (bellows) can cause low boost. Could also be sticking VGT vanes from a dirty/rusty unison ring and vanes.

Being that you didn't have a fuel gauge on before, your low fuel psi might have been their prior. Might be weak HFCM, air entering fuel lines, or restriction of fuel line in tank.

"Rich is really good with knobs, his soft touch and attention to detail are like no other."-Portcity_gt
Old 07-06-2014, 11:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have the scan gauge and it cycles what seems to be fine. And the truck doesnt have a map sensor it has the maf. I think the later 6.0 had just the map sensor. I need to get a turbo piping diagram so i can locate all of that. J
Old 07-09-2014, 09:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

UPDATE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilpooh View Post
Did you check the CAC boots for damage, especially the 45* boot coming off the turbo, you may have to pull the boot off to inspect, sometimes the damage can be right under the clamp. Check the Map hose for damage and remove hose to clean out hose and fitting that goes in the intake. Check your EBP sensor for plug/wire damage, clean out EBP tubing going from sensor to manifold. Cracked or damaged y-pipe/up-pipe flex joints (bellows) can cause low boost. Could also be sticking VGT vanes from a dirty/rusty unison ring and vanes.

Being that you didn't have a fuel gauge on before, your low fuel psi might have been their prior. Might be weak HFCM, air entering fuel lines, or restriction of fuel line in tank.

"Rich is really good with knobs, his soft touch and attention to detail are like no other."-Portcity_gt
Update: found missing oring in regulator that goes in before the black poppet...been holding steady 60-62 psi for the past 4 days so it should be good!

still have low boost been monitoring the vgt cycle and boost. lowest it will drop is to 42-45 on vgt and wont make more that 17psi.

could this be a dirty maf issue or ebp? how would those being damaged or not working mess with the turbo? not questioning but just curious for knowledge ill check them tomorrow after work. would it be obvious if they were damaged or somthing wrong with them? im not getting any cels
Old 07-10-2014, 03:23 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jme__gt View Post
Update: found missing oring in regulator that goes in before the black poppet...been holding steady 60-62 psi for the past 4 days so it should be good!

still have low boost been monitoring the vgt cycle and boost. lowest it will drop is to 42-45 on vgt and wont make more that 17psi.

could this be a dirty maf issue or ebp? how would those being damaged or not working mess with the turbo? not questioning but just curious for knowledge ill check them tomorrow after work. would it be obvious if they were damaged or somthing wrong with them? im not getting any cels

Cool, fuel psi solved.

MAP & EBP inputs are what the PCM uses to control VGT duty cycle as well as Acelerator pedal position and a few other things. But when those sensors get dirty or go bad the turbo dont act right.

Monitor MAP & EBP & BARO they need to be within .5psi at KOEO.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I think im going to have to enter those pids into my scan gauge2 i have the pre loaded one from BPD so they might not be on there but ill give then a call or find out how to enter them
Anyone know a where i can find the pids?
Old 07-10-2014, 11:43 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jme__gt View Post
I think im going to have to enter those pids into my scan gauge2 i have the pre loaded one from BPD so they might not be on there but ill give then a call or find out how to enter them

Anyone know a where i can find the pids?

Post #51 in the link below was a formula list for ScangaugeII.
Write Up: Monitoring the 6.0L PSD.

Old 07-10-2014, 02:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilpooh View Post
Post #51 in the link below was a formula list for ScangaugeII.
Write Up: Monitoring the 6.0L PSD.

So i entered the pids. Map is 14.3 and Bar is 14.2-3
Also try to enter ebp but apparently my year truck was flashed to no longer use the ebp sensor. Its pretty much a dud.

Now my question is for the pid reading on the vgt. Is that desired or actual vane percentage?
I watched my friends 06 6.0 and at wot ive seen his vgt drop to mid 30s and boost around 24-28psi. My vgt lowest was 42-45 ish and nothing more than 17psi. So is it trying to open or maybe its not even getting the command?
Old 07-10-2014, 02:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

you may have a dirty turbo too. not sure why it would act up all of a sudden, but stranger things have happened.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yea thats kinda what im thinking too. Its weirs because it was just fine before i did the s&b intake and blue spring mod.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.