Any input on blue smoke? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2014, 04:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Any input on blue smoke?

Hey guys,

So I've got an 06 F350 and took it to a shop to get injector #4 replaced, head gaskets done and an oil cooler replaced. So the guy phoned me saying the truck was ready so I went to pick it up. The truck was running like *** and throwing a contribution code for cylinder 5.

The guy replaced the injector on 5 and still ran like crap. It ended up being that he bent two push rods during installation, and these were remanufactured heads he had put on that had been machined.

I picked the truck up last night and paid my bill. Truck runs good, however about 5 minutes after leaving his shop I noticed that the truck has quite a bit of blue smoke, at idle and under acceleration. I got up for work this morning and the truck started fine and after 3-5 minutes started blowing blue smoke again.

I texted the guy who did the work and he said that I probably need more new injectors. I call Bs on this and think that he didn't pull the head off to check for any valve/piston damage after his bent push rod fiasco.

Or is blue smoke common after doing a head gasket job? It does seem to be getting a bit better, I'll go for another drive to see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2014, 05:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Just took it for a good 45 minute drive. Blows blue smoke after it gets nice and warm. Way less than yesterday and this morning, almost none coming out now.

I'm not too worried about it. Yesterday it was pretty bad
Old 07-05-2014, 05:27 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

A lot of people don't think to suck the oil off the top of the pistons and it will have to burn off. You also may have saturated the exhaust some before the repairs.
Old 07-05-2014, 07:49 AM
Premium Member

I wonder if #5 was actually bad. I know I recently replaced the oil cooler and a bunch of other stuff and when I first got her running I had a contribution code on 6 I believe. It went away on the second drive. Reading around it sounds like occasionally you will get those codes after a complete oil swap with the cooler replaced and all that.

Anyways good luck with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.