Ficm voltage question...67-68 volts? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2014, 03:30 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Ficm voltage question...67-68 volts?

Hello all. I'm working on my 05 truck right now as it has finally quit on me. I went to start it first thing in the morning, and it started as usual. It has sticky injectors so it's always a little loopy on start up. After that I went to get fuel, same place I always get fuel, and I started it up again. No problem. Then about 2 mins later as I'm driving down the street, I look out my mirror and notice its smoking blue more than normal. So I let off the pedal, and it's still smoking. When I got to my buddies house, it was now a mosquito fogger at idle, and when I tried to give it throttle, it just loaded right up. I was about a mile from home and barely made it.

When I had time to look at it, I suspected a stuck open injector. Or a turbo seal, or ficm. So I checked the turbo, and it was all good. Pulled the glow plugs and none of them seemed to spew out gobs of diesel. So I also tested the ficm and it came in at 67-68 volts KOEO and while cranking. I have never heard or read about one being too high. Is that possible?
Thanks
Clarence.

Last edited by 03ccf350; 07-04-2014 at 03:54 AM. Reason: Stupid autocorrect!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2014, 03:33 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
68 volts? Ask the owner if it ran before someone botched the FICM voltage mod
Old 07-04-2014, 03:39 AM
Premium Member

Sorry, forgot. It has an EGR delete, and a programmer for the egr valve missing. I have up to this point had a CEL on for my oil cooler temps which I have a new one ready to go in so I knew about that one. I tried to get any codes, but I only have a really cheap scanner and it brought up nothing.
Clarence
Old 07-04-2014, 03:41 AM
Premium Member

Sorry, Dave it's my truck. Have not updated my sig. My other truck got stolen and I bought this one cheap a couple years ago. I kinda thought someone might have screwed around with it, but I bought it from an older farmer, and can't see him playing with it. But, I can open it up to have a look.
Thanks for the speedy reply!
Clarence
Old 07-04-2014, 06:03 AM
Premium Member

Just did a voltage test on the batteries. Came in at just over 17 volts which is REALLY weird. Both batteries are just under 2 years old. Not that that makes a difference. But, 17 x 4 is 68. Which might explain the voltage the FICM is putting out. But where in the heck did 17 volts from a 12 volt battery come from?!
Old 07-04-2014, 06:41 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Fixed your topic title, Clarence... Yeah, it definitely sounds like something is wrong with one or both of the batteries... It shouldn't ever be that high which sounds like the internal resistance (to maintain voltage regulation) is borked... You might take the batteries and see if they will test them for you.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:33 AM
Premium Member

Yeah thanks Shawn. I tried after I saw it and couldn't. Friggin auto correct! I talked to a couple sparky buddies and they said the same thing. I will add that the batteries are wet in top and have been for about a year and a half. So a chronic overcharging problem? I replaced te alternator at the same time as the batteries. What controls the charging voltage? The ecu or the alternator or? As far as I understand, the ecu controls the input voltage to the alternator, thereby controlling output. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Having said that, is it possible to have slowly fried the FICM and finally it called it quits? I am going to open it up after work to have a better look at it. And in te mean time, test the batteries.
Thanks
Old 07-04-2014, 07:44 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

the internals of the alt control charging plus there should be a light on the dash for overcharge

what are you testing with ?
Old 07-04-2014, 08:11 AM
Premium Member

Testing voltage? Using a fluke multimeter. No light on dash for charging fault. I may have to get a better scan tool as I had a code for my oil coolant delta out of spec, which this piece of junk didn't pick up. I will check again when I get back home with my flashpaq. Which came with the truck, BTW! I know it's not the best thing out there, but the whole truck was cheap so I can't complain. Besides, I spent all my money on my last truck only to have someone think they needed it more than me.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:57 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

i would have to test another 12v circuit with the fluke or use another tester on the truck
to verify such a whak reading
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.