Cylinder Head Issue - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2014, 04:44 PM
FORD4LIFE

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation Cylinder Head Issue

So the time finally came for me to do my head studs. I found a shop in town that works on many powerstrokes. They are also a BPD preferred installer. So I knew they knew what they were doing. Had my heads off and to the machine shop in a day. Well this is where the problem started. The rest of this is what i was told..... When my heads were checked and fluxed they found some issues. First being that my heads are warped and need to be decked three thousands. From my understanding this is not the end of the world and is common. Also well within the max allowed to take off. OK, I can live with that. Next problems were cracks.

From the mouth of the lead service tech "The shop found some cracks near the valves. They put the heads under a coolant flow test and bumped it up to 40psi. Most shops only do up to 30psi but they wanted to make sure your heads were good. At 40psi, no leaks. This is way over what your stock system will produce. so you might be ok. With the ARP studs you might get away with it. However when the coolant reaches 200+, it may or may not expand them and leak." They had not heard from the machine shop if they were surface cracks or cracks that run deep.

I would first like to state that I really don't have the money for new heads. Which is why I am looking for the advice of the forum members. Will I be good with just having them deck the heads? Will it all hold up with the set up I have now? ie. intake, daily tune from DP-tuner, 4" straight pipe, 53v FICM from BPD. I plan on upgrading the turbo and injectors way down the road. Nothing super mean. I want to keep the towing capabilities of the truck. At most a stage 2 turbo and 175cc injectors. And like I said, this is down the line.

What are some of the questions I should be asking my shop? Like as far as their opinions on what I should do. What are some of the down sides of running with cracks around the valves? What should I do. Any and all input is appreciated. Thank you guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2014, 07:12 PM
FORD4LIFE

Also..

I would also like to add that prior to all of this my coolant would only leak during WOT. It would never eat coolant. Only puke it out of the bottle. And once it was drained to just above the bottom hoses it wouldn't puke at all. Most likely due to the low level.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:27 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I had $1000 into doing my heads, decked, magna fluxed, new valve seals and valve guides. I think a new set from clear water is around $1600. Just food for thought......
Old 07-07-2014, 05:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm preparing for heads myself and given everyone else misfortune, I just picked up a set of heads from Clearwater before even tearing into the truck. It's my daily driver so I can't afford for it to be down too long and having new heads waiting while I tear it down makes me feel better. I just picked up a set of heads for my 03 MY engine for $1200 shipped to my house. I'm sure shipping will be different from state to state, but $1200 for heads and shipping from FL to OH seems well worth it to me.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:44 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

i thought clear water was selling those crap heads? not sure just double check make sure they are ok
Old 07-07-2014, 10:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

god i hope not. I've seen so many posts about other guys using their heads, now you got me concerned.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:01 PM
FORD4LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbailmeout View Post
I'm preparing for heads myself and given everyone else misfortune, I just picked up a set of heads from Clearwater before even tearing into the truck. It's my daily driver so I can't afford for it to be down too long and having new heads waiting while I tear it down makes me feel better. I just picked up a set of heads for my 03 MY engine for $1200 shipped to my house. I'm sure shipping will be different from state to state, but $1200 for heads and shipping from FL to OH seems well worth it to me.
I see your point. But I've read one to many bad reviews on those heads to make me want to shell over money to them. I talked to my shop today and they got word back from the machine shop. They said my cracks are not that bad. Mostly on the exhaust side. I just need my heads to hold up until I can do a complete tear down and build down the line. I don't plan on pushing lots of power until I have o-ringed heads on my truck. The next time I do this, I'll have a lift and just do it myself. That's the main reason I didn't do it myself. I was not about to pull my front end apart in the 100+ Vegas heat.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

well suck me sideways. now that I dig a little more into it even some of the guys that posted they used them hated their decision later. I made good use of my time at work today. Now to figure out how to avoid the restock fee. They told me it was a reman head and not a chinatown cast. Guess I'll find out tomorrow when it comes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.