difference between front covers - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2014, 08:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
difference between front covers

So, I broke a hole in my front cover, while getting the fan off to change the water pump. Truck is an early 04.

From what I can find, there are 3 different covers, 03-early 04.5, late 04.5 only, and 05-07. I am trying to figure out what the differences are.

Is the difference between early and late just the water pump and the difference between late and 05+ the radiator hose inlet angle/size.

How interchangeable are they? If I use the larger water pump is the late 04.5 a direct swap? Can I use the 05-07 cover by only swapping to the large water pump and a different radiator hose or will my steering box interfere?

Thanks,
Brett
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2014, 01:57 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

If IIRC the early 04 and 03 were the same engine the late 04 only difference was the depth of the impeller. Same diameter and bolt pattern you had to watch that you didn't get an 03 and install cause it would fit but the flow would be wrong.

The 05 you allready covered the differences your self. That PS pump is a major pain.
I would definately clean the CAC if you were getting serious blow by for a while. Same with the early boots, the oil tended to make them softer and may never fit right again.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:51 AM
Premium Member

6.0L "Geniuses" (engineers) @ Ford continue to amaze

Did you read that thread.

I found with the power steering pump it was easier to pull the big hose off of it, undo the front cover and tilt it so you can reach the back bolts. One bolt is under the other pressure hose from the pump and is the hardest to get. I think in the future it would be easier to remove that hose from under the truck then remove the four retaining bolts.

I am not a ford tech though so they may have a good procedure for removing that guy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.