few questions about degas bottle - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 06-28-2014, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 129
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
few questions about degas bottle

Ok guys gotta a few questions about the degas bottle on my 6.0

1. Is it ok to let pressure off of the system when hot?
2. Why does my 6.0 and my friend's 6.0 have more pressure on the cap when the trucks are tuned vs when they are on stock tuning?,

Mines an 03 his is an 04. Both stock bolts, I have a sct Livewire with custom Looney tune, he has a superchips flashpaq.

Thanks guys
HardcoreFx4 is offline  
post #2 of 8 Old 06-29-2014, 06:38 AM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Somewhere Between Good and Bad
Posts: 1,954
Thanks: 10
Thanked 61 Times in 60 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardcoreFx4 View Post
Ok guys gotta a few questions about the degas bottle on my 6.0

1. Is it ok to let pressure off of the system when hot?
2. Why does my 6.0 and my friend's 6.0 have more pressure on the cap when the trucks are tuned vs when they are on stock tuning?,

Mines an 03 his is an 04. Both stock bolts, I have a sct Livewire with custom Looney tune, he has a superchips flashpaq.

Thanks guys
1). Yes, but be careful not to get burned.

2). Tuned motors produce more heat, have more boost, and have increased cylinder pressures. Increased heat equals higher pressure in a sealed system (of course until the cap vents). Increased boost and cylinder pressure is what your head gaskets are trying to contain and keep out of the cooling system. When my head gaskets let go (under a high load, high boost situation) I would get up to 22 psi in my cooking system. Cooling system pressure did not match boost pressure, but they moved upward together. After studs, o-ringed heads, full Bulletproofing, I now monitor cooling system psi. Normally is 8 to 9 psi, far below the 16 psi vent pressure of the cap.

2006 CC SB 4x4 6.0L
KC Stage 1.5
BPD 6 Phase 53v FICM, EGR, HD Oil Cooler, Bypass Oil Filter & Water Pump
ARP Studs w/ OEM Gaskets
DC Power 190a upper; DB Electric 200a lower alternator
295/65/20 Toyo MTs
PMF 3 Link
7,500LB Tuff Trucks Leveling Coils
Icon 2.5 piggyback CDC shocks
Dynatrac Free Spin Kit with Dynaloc Hubs
EDGE CTS Monitor w/ EGT, pressure, and temp sensors
Blue FPR Spring Kit
Twin F450 Auxiliary Springs
Banks Monster Exhaust
Truetrac rear/E locker Front with 4.11s
skanj0 is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 06-29-2014, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 129
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by skanj0 View Post
1). Yes, but be careful not to get burned.

2). Tuned motors produce more heat, have more boost, and have increased cylinder pressures. Increased heat equals higher pressure in a sealed system (of course until the cap vents). Increased boost and cylinder pressure is what your head gaskets are trying to contain and keep out of the cooling system. When my head gaskets let go (under a high load, high boost situation) I would get up to 22 psi in my cooking system. Cooling system pressure did not match boost pressure, but they moved upward together. After studs, o-ringed heads, full Bulletproofing, I now monitor cooling system psi. Normally is 8 to 9 psi, far below the 16 psi vent pressure of the cap.
Ok so what your saying is it's normal to have more pressure, someone said since I have a custom tune, the writer makes it not have as high of cylinder pressure. Is that true?
HardcoreFx4 is offline  
post #4 of 8 Old 06-29-2014, 07:20 AM
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
 
ZMANN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 16,290
Thanks: 722
Thanked 814 Times in 783 Posts
Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 924 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardcoreFx4 View Post
, someone said since I have a custom tune, the writer makes it not have as high of cylinder pressure. Is that true?


the writer wouldn't be very popular if He did that
he would have to limit boost and fuel like an Eco tune

.
.
.
Please donate to DTR Ron's Memorial
https://www.gofundme.com/2464axqr
We Miss you Ronnie
RIP
ZMANN is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 06-29-2014, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 129
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
the writer wouldn't be very popular if He did that
he would have to limit boost and fuel like an Eco tune
Well they said they are safe for stock bolts.
HardcoreFx4 is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 06-29-2014, 07:23 AM
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
 
ZMANN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 16,290
Thanks: 722
Thanked 814 Times in 783 Posts
Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 924 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
it may be?
but you said
Quote:
someone said since I have a custom tune, the writer makes it not have as high of cylinder pressure. Is that true?
so if it was less than stock it would be under performing the stock tune

.
.
.
Please donate to DTR Ron's Memorial
https://www.gofundme.com/2464axqr
We Miss you Ronnie
RIP
ZMANN is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 06-29-2014, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 129
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
it may be?
but you said

so if it was less than stock it would be under performing the stock tune
Yeah that makes since. Thanks.
HardcoreFx4 is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 06-29-2014, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 129
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
If I keep the cap loose on my truck will it leave a lot of the pressure off the system?
HardcoreFx4 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome