Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Need some ICP/HPOP advice.

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  ralphtheplumber 
#1 ·
So my truck died on the way home a few days ago. Lost power just puttering down a country road. Had to walk home with my 2 year old son.

The truck is a basically stock '04 6.0. It has a river city egr cooler bypass and the sct mild [mileage] tune. The stock head gaskets are still holding at 220k.

Codes are P0676, P2285, P2290, and P2291. Had to borrow a snap-on scanner from a friend of a friend because the Autozone scanner wouldn't read anything.

So anyway, based on googling those codes, I replaced the ICP sensor and the glow plug module. Still nothing. The truck will not start with the sensor unplugged either.

What's next? HPOP? Any wise counsel is appreciated..

Thanks, RTP

#2 ·
If it's not starting at all I would say HPOP however if it it running but like crap almost like it's missing and it could be a bad IPR valve. Had mine do that.

#3 ·
Not to thread jack here.
But are you saying if one were to have a bad ICP, unplugging it and starting the truck should tell you?

I'm having an issue with a truck I have, 06, that starts perfectly fine when cold. But once up to temp will not start if you shut it down.
So in theory, I could find out if it is an Icp problem, if after unplugging the Icp the truck starts fine?

My neighbor drives a Prius.

#5 ·
I thought those were only on the '05 and up?

Build date inside the door is 01/04. It says "2004" right on the valve cover. I didn't think I had an STC fitting?

However, my ICP sensor is on the valve cover, which I've been told that they didn't start doing until around 06/04, so who knows? I was pretty happy that it wasn't behind the turbo where it was allegedly supposed to be.

#9 ·
Do you have a monitor
I think that I can check some or all of those with my tuner. I had kinda forgotten that I had that. Probably didn't need to burn a favor borrowing the fancy scanner.

I'll plug it in hopefully tomorrow and report back. The truck is currently in my pole barn way in the backyard, and it's pouring rain right now. Also, it's after midnight.

#14 ·
Did you do the air test to determine the ultimate failure? The air test is fairly straight forward, especially for the ICP sensor on the head. All things said, with 220k on the meter, you are probably due for some new parts. If you change all of the typical parts, the bill is less than $1K, assuming you do the work and you didn't want to just change the broken part after finding it.

If you have the ICP on the head, you probably have the new pump. Either way, you can easily see the difference by looking at the pump cover, since the newer ones stick out of the cover.

older

newer

#15 ·
Frank, I appreciate you trying to help at the last minute, but we're all done. Unless somebody here shows some interest, this thing is going on craigslist in the morning. I'm shoveling it out right now. This will be my last ford product.

Thanks to all who responded or tried to help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.