HELP! Turbo?Y Pipe? Air Filter Howling and Squeal? CAN'T FIGURE OUT!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2014, 07:45 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Angry HELP! Turbo?Y Pipe? Air Filter Howling and Squeal? CAN'T FIGURE OUT!!!

For the life of me I can't figure out what exactly is causing this issue! 189,000 miles and have been wrenching on it almost all those miles so I know the ins and out of this motor pretty well, hopefully someone is familiar and can help!

First, the best way to describe the sound coming from the intake is like a big rig taking off from a stop. Moving a lot of air and in low gear. It gets louder when you push the pedal down (in drive down the road or parked). When driving it will make that heavy sucking of air howling sound and then if I really put the pedal down and hold it, it will make a constant squeal sound. And other times I will press the pedal down and release fast and it will do a short squeal. Other times while this is occurring it will do a slight squeal when it shifts gears. Same goes for in park. It sounds like I am stuck in granny gear. I watch the shifts on the trans and its shifting 1-5 fluid also...When this happens there is no smoke visible at the tailpipe.

After this happened I took the turbo apart and cleaned it (Original 2003 Stock Garret Turbo). Looked pretty good for 189K. Cleaned it according to procedure and everything was very fluid and zero play in and out on the impeller just the usual slight play laterally that gets taken up with oil when running. Veins functioning very smoothly. Cleaned CAC boots, Air Intake Filter, MAF sensor. Reinstalled and sprayed boots just to double check for leaks = nothing. All piping attached well. Took it for a ride (cool - night time) and got on it hard on the interstate, no problems thought it was fixed.

Next Day I went into town and turn the AC on (morning - warm). About 30 min into the trip stopped at a light, when I continued the whoosh/howl and intermittent squeal returned. Continued for some time and then after some traveling it just stopped and was fine. Then right before I got back home it happened again. When inside let it cool down for a couple hours, returned, started, and same problem was there....

After close inspection I don't see any soot near any parts of the Y pipe or flex areas. The only soot I see it on the block near the exhaust manifolds (needs new gaskets). Even tried messing around with the AC to see if it is the compressor causing drag, its is turning on and off correctly. Its seems to happen with AC on or off but IT is the only thing that I haven't used much prior to this problem, could be coincidence. Only other thing on the truck of issue right now is a power steering pump makes a noise on hard turn. Probably irrelevant but you never know with these things!

What I really don't understand is if it was the Turbo or Y pipe wouldn't you think it would be an all the time occurrence. Because when it goes away it runs great. I did notice my max PSI was about 25 though. I can't really compare to what I usually has been because I usually monitor other things more closely.

Any help,suggestions, ideas would be much appreciated! Thanks

Last edited by F350Powerstroker; 06-28-2014 at 06:04 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2014, 08:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Im wondering if maybe you have a small crack in one of the bellows on your Y pipes. I have read that this will give you the high pitch squeal.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:21 PM
Premium Member

Yeah I watched a few youtube videos of cracked Y pipes...some are not even close but one is pretty similar maybe its just very small and is intermittent because it can close itself off based on where the torque of the motor moves it? I'd be fine if it was because I'm interested in the sinister Y pipe and headers. But I don't like to just shotgun parts and especially if it's something else like the turbo.
Old 06-28-2014, 12:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Exhaust leaks can do that, especially at the manifolds.
Sure you aren't just hearing the fan lock in? Maybe a worn belt also.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Heavy_GD likes this.
Old 06-28-2014, 04:08 AM
Premium Member

If it's the fan locking in its not on a good way but makes sense I'll have to pay closer attention to the fan itself, it's just seems distinctively coming from the air system...and the belt has about only 2000 miles on it (Motorcraft).
Old 06-28-2014, 05:43 AM

Ive got a fairly new belt on mine that likes to squeal. Very high pitch metal to metal type squeal. I finally took some belt dressing to it. Worked instantly.
Old 06-28-2014, 10:27 AM
Premium Member

It's not a belt squeal, or pulley for that matter they are areal newer. Hopefully hear from some that have had cracked y pipes I'm thinking that's what it is....
Old 06-29-2014, 11:03 AM
Premium Member

Anybody else have any input?
Old 07-01-2014, 01:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I would also guess at the cracked bellows being suspect. Mine made a heck of a high-pitch squeal/whine about half the time. I was able to get under the truck and look up with a flashlight to see some soot around the bellows. I had a new flex pipe welded in (replacing the OEM bellows) by a decent exhaust shop and the noise went away.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:38 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
In my opinion a loud 'roaring' or 'whooooosh' sound like you hear on the big rigs would indicate to me that the fan clutch may be locking in.

A siren like or howling 'woooooo' sound can indicate a leak in the bellows, up-pipe/y-pipe/down pipe connection, exhaust manifolds or in one instance that I read about, a coked up bearing in the turbo (new bearing was required). In another instance the persons problem was a loose up-pipe/y-pipe connection causing some gasket to act like a reed and make the sound.

The tea kettle high pitched sound can be leaking up-pipe/y-pipe bellows or connections, leaky exhaust manifold, leaky CAC or CAC boots or leaky degas cap.

A squeal could be the turbo or leaky up-pipe/y-pipe bellows. Could be squeaky belt, tensioner pulleys, alternator, A/C pump and etc etc.

To test for the exhaust leaks, (you'd want to do this at night and on a cold engine) you could have someone place their foot over the exhaust pipe or restrict it somehow, then have someone start the truck while you are under the hood with a flashlight looking for smoke. Or you can get a long 3/8" or 1/2" rubber hose and use it as a type of stethoscope to listen for air leaks (it's pretty apparent when you find a leak). Or you could make a boost leak and exhaust leak detector and pump each system full of air. Or, you could place aluminum foil around the bellows to see if they soot up over a week or so.

Just my $.02
Heavy_GD likes this.

Last edited by Soledad; 07-02-2014 at 11:45 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Soledad For This Useful Post:
Ack (08-12-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.