Water temp/oil temp ficm voltage - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2014, 09:40 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Water temp/oil temp ficm voltage

I haven't been on in a long time because I haven't had much problem with my sweet heart of a truck she has been so good to me. She is a 2006 ford f250 6.0 xlt she is pushing 144.000 mile on her and haven't had much problem thank god. I been notice the last few years in the summer time my coolant temp is starting to creep up to the 200 210 212 range empty I know these like to run that hot but she is totaly stock all she has is a egr delet is all no tunes nothing. I was woundering if maybe my radiator I'd finally clogging up and maybe time for a new water pump. This engine has always ran 190 or so in the summer tell this past few years it keeps creeping up there. I have done a few flashes but it drops temps for a while the it does it again.
Okay on to the next problem my ficm voltage just started to drop below 48.00 volts last night the lowest it got was 47.00 but in a 3
Hour drive I could maybe 20 time it got down to 47.00 volts. Was woundering if it was time to send it in to ficm repair guy and have him put my bullet proof stuff on and have him put a mild tune on it while he has it. Oh yeah I forgot one more thing I am straight pipe as well no cat or muffler.
Last but not least the oil temps when my ect are up are 210 or so the eot or with in 4 or 6 degrees of each other but when she is running at 183 to 190 the oil temp are 6 8 degrees apart time to flush and switch it aging.

Thank you all for your help kyle cox
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2014, 10:38 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I've not lived in AZ and so I'm not exactly sure what summer time engine temps would be there but on my truck in both Colorado and in WA I usually run about 186 - 195 unloaded while cruising on the highway. And so 200 - 212 seems kind of high to me unless those temps are with the A/C on as well but I'd still think the temp should be lower than that. I'd first start with changing out the thermostat since it's easy to replace. They usually fail open but perhaps yours isn't opening all the way? Something else to check is if your degas cap is leaking. Could just be time for a new cap but could also be signs of head gasket issues. And you might even want to start monitoring your radiator fan. Maybe it's not spinning up like it should.

As for the FICM voltage, I've read that anything below 46 volts is cause for concern. You are fine at 47 volts.

As for the ECT/EOT delta, the test is to warm up the truck to operating temp, then drive at 65 mph for 20 minutes on flat road and if the difference is 15* then you have an issue.

Hopefully others will chime in soon.
Old 06-27-2014, 10:45 AM

your a little hot i would expect 204 with the AC on in slow traffic no load ambient 110

have you done any cooling PM at all ? coolant/ t-stat ?

the FICM just keep an eye on
Old 06-27-2014, 02:12 PM

A few years back I have done a flush when I swaped out my oil cooler but never swaped out the t state I guess I will start there. The degas bottle holds pressure fine. I haven't been notice head gasket failure problems yet so I am tilling that out I think it just time for a newer t state.
Old 06-27-2014, 02:16 PM

Those temp are with a/c off or on I am running a dash boss monitoring device. I do know that my temp gauge on the truck runs in the normal spot all the time no hotter or colder. I have called dash boss thinking maybe my dash boss might be acting up or somthing and they said the what it is reading is actual temp and the gauge on the dash is like and idiot like so I don't know what to be leave time to get a point and shot temp gun and see what it says. I would think that if my truck is running as hot as dash boss says it is the gauge on the dash would be alittle closer to the red side but in not so I don't know
Old 06-27-2014, 02:25 PM

the dash gauge is to be ignored ;-)
if your EOT and ECT temps are about the same as ambient in the morning your likely not dealing with any bad sensors

how many miles on the coolant ?
Old 06-27-2014, 03:02 PM

Maybe a year on coolant. So you are saying dash boss if messing up then
Old 06-28-2014, 06:46 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Actually he's saying that Dash Boss reading is correct and the truck's dash temp gauge is to be ignored. I rarely ever watch my dash temp gauge now that I have a ScanGauge II.
Old 06-28-2014, 12:08 PM

Okay thank you so the dash gauge is like a dam idiot light then. Thank you for the input guys I will try a t state and go from there is there weep hole on water pump so if the water pump is out you have coolant leaking out from the weep holes thank you guys for the help
Old 07-11-2014, 04:52 PM

I got a quick question on my over temp would being overfull on coolant cause my truck to run alittle warm. I just drain about 1/2 gal out of my degass bottle because it was over full. Am I suppose to check and fill when cold or warm after the t sat has opened
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.