One more EOT thread... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2014, 04:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Arrow One more EOT thread...

Long time lurker....first time I've had to post.

First off I'd like to thank the community on this site for all of the great information I've recceived. Injectors, HPOP's EGR deletes, fueling issues, cooling issues, and all of the other little 6.0 problems that arise have all been much easier with the information contained here.

Now onto my current issue, the truck is a 2007 F350 KR. 98K miles on the clock and for the past 30K has had chronic ECT/EOT issues. Mechanics have previously replaced the oil cooler and EGR cooler 3 times (All three times VC-9 was used) all three times the ECT/EOT have remained high after the replacement.

The truck is mostly used pulling a little 6000lb tandem axle trailer, and on long hills it would overheat and puke. Even on flat ground it would almost always throw a wrench.

Here is where I come in, I pulled the truck apart. EGR delete, 4th Oil cooler, SCT livewire (so I actually have accurate ECT/EOT values now), Coolant filter, thermostat, and Oil cooler bypass valve were installed. Coolant system was flushed before the new cooler went in with water for an entire day, followed by restore and restore+( I did not mix them ) and a final flushing. I took the old oil cooler and ran 1 gallon of water through it in reverse out of curiousity and got lots of iron scale.

Now the ECT is great 188-198 (it was 100 degrees outside today and the ECT breached 200 for a few moments then settled back down to 196) but the EOT is still hanging out at 220-240. I even saw a 50 degree delta T yesterday (ECT 190/EOT 240) cruising at 75mph.

I am at a loss at this point, I do not know what step to take next. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2014, 08:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

You may have a bad oil sensor. Try shooting the pan with a infared temp gun and see if your oil really is that hot.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:51 AM
Premium Member

I'm curios what the EOT is when you cold start? for example, this morning when I started my truck, it was 59deg ambient temp outside and the ECT and EOT were 80deg.
Old 06-27-2014, 10:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ECT and EOT start at the same temp when cold 80 degrees, the EOT sometimes starts at 79 or 81 but ECT always starts at 80.

I also shot the top of the oil cooler cover with a IR thermometer and it read exactly what the EOT reading was.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Just a little update for everyone. After seeing EOT's of 260 I tore it down and put another ford oil cooler in it. Only got ~60 miles on it today but EOT's never exceeded 207 and delta T was never more than 8 degrees. Taking the trailer out about 250 miles tomorrow for a more stressful test. At least unloaded, the 5th oil cooler seems to have cured the issue.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:16 PM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Good to hear and I'm hoping that does the trick but sounds like your coolers like to clog. 5 oil coolers? That's a new record. Oh and I at your comment of delta T. It reminded me of my Navy days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.