Looking for help on a tough problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2014, 05:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Looking for help on a tough problem

First post here.

I joined looking for some ideas on a tough problem we are having with a 2004 E-350 6.0. The van has 80K and a really good maintenance background. Oil changes are done by the dealer, etc.

The problem is an intermittent rough idle, when you cycle the key often it will run perfect. Sometimes it will still run rough even after a key cycle so it isn't 100%.

The van has had 2 FICMs, 4 ICPs, 2 IPRs, and 2 EBPs in the last 5K miles.

The van is all stock except for an EGR bypass. All the parts on it are Motorcraft.

We have looked at the scanner until our eyes crossed. Here is what we have found:

When it runs good
ICP 575 at idle
IPR 22

When it runs bad
ICP 875 at idle
IPR 31-32

Our take is the IPR is doing its job perfectly and the issue is the ICP reporting to high a pressure at idle causing the IPR to open more and creating a rough idle. As you can see several ICPs were put in and the problem keeps coming back. It can happen hot or cold.

What else besides the sensor could be causing an intermittent high ICP reading?

Any other ideas, because we're stumped?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2014, 06:23 PM

What are the readings for FICM voltage and what is the status of the EGR valve itself? Have you tested the static and dynamic fuel pressure? Are the connections to the FICM secure? What is the status of the injectors? Is there any smoke from the tailpipe?
Old 06-25-2014, 08:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vashaman01 View Post
What are the readings for FICM voltage and what is the status of the EGR valve itself? Have you tested the static and dynamic fuel pressure? Are the connections to the FICM secure? What is the status of the injectors? Is there any smoke from the tailpipe?
FICM voltage 48.5 always. The EGR valve is plugged in but just laying there, this is the unmonitored software version so it doesn't throw a code. FICM connections have been checked several times and no issues. No smoke from the tailpipe. Injectors are all looking real good, I don't have the values off the top of my head but we have gone through them many times, but I'll recheck them tomorrow and post some values.

I haven't done a fuel pressure test, I'll look at that tomorrow as well. What is the logic behind that question just so I understand where you're coming from?
Old 06-25-2014, 08:09 PM

Clogged up EGR could cause a rough idle or surge at times. If it is clogged it will hinder the actuation of the valve itself causing all sorts of issues. The fuel pressure can certainly cause a rough idle if it's dropping below 45 PSI. The fuel pump could be getting weak or there is not enough pressure in the fuel lines themselves. Also inside the fuel tank is a sediment filter which gets clogged lowering the fuel pressure by not allowing the pump to suck as much fuel as it needs. The issue may not be electrical at all, could be fuel related or EGR.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vashaman01 View Post
Clogged up EGR could cause a rough idle or surge at times. If it is clogged it will hinder the actuation of the valve itself causing all sorts of issues. The fuel pressure can certainly cause a rough idle if it's dropping below 45 PSI. The fuel pump could be getting weak or there is not enough pressure in the fuel lines themselves. Also inside the fuel tank is a sediment filter which gets clogged lowering the fuel pressure by not allowing the pump to suck as much fuel as it needs. The issue may not be electrical at all, could be fuel related or EGR.
The EGR has been bypassed with a sinister kit. The valve is still there and plugged in but just sitting on the intake.

I'll check the fuel pressures out tomorrow.

Thanks for the response.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.