No hot start... HELP - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2014, 01:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No hot start... HELP

I had a 2004 that was diagnosed by a tech with engine failure. I debated junking it, but ran across a supposedly bulletproofed 2003 for a great price. I decided to gamble on the used replacement engine which already had an EGR delete, new injectors and new head studs. I changed all external components that I knew were good from my 04 plus the IPR and HPOP. After replacing the engine and getting everything hooked up and all fluids and filters changed, it fired up seemingly without a problem.

The one thing I did notice was the oil pressure dummy gauge wasn't registering. The cranking time was a little abnormal, but the second the dummy gauge would shoot up, the engine fired and ran like a top. The dummy gauge worked fine as long as it was running after that. I did that off an on for the last two days while I worked on other issues, never letting it get very warm. The dummy gauge issue was always the same. The gauge is bottomed out, after 30 or so seconds cranking the gauge will spike and the engine fires so fast I can't get off the starter fast enough.

Today I let it get good and hot and when I killed it, it wouldn't start back. Same issue with the dummy gauge. I assume from other threads that the no start when hot is a HPO issue.

My question is, will a LPOP issue affect the HPO system and a no-start when hot issue? I'm aggravated to the max at the moment and plan to let it sit overnight before I get the nerve to see if I have a different result tomorrow when it is cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2014, 08:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

update

Update... I found another thread where the suggested test was to pull the oil filter and run a test on the lpop. I ran the test and the lpop is working fine so the problem is hpo related obviously. I'm in the process of going back into the engine. So far the ICP seems fine and the IPR is brand new. The turbo has been taken apart and cleaned prior to installation. However, when I pulled the turbo a few minutes ago to get to the HPOP housing, I noticed fresh oil on top of the engine and oil around the pipe from the HPOP housing to the turbo. I suspect bad O-rings.

Can bad O-rings on the short pipe going from the HPOP to the turbo cause a no start when hot issue?

One other update... after I ran the LPOP test in the filter housing, the long start when cold issue disappeared. When cold, the engine will fire up immediately and run like a top. The problem is only when the engine is hot.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Let me know what you find out. Im having a similar issue and I'm curious to see where the issue lies
Old 06-25-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmorgan View Post
Update... I found another thread where the suggested test was to pull the oil filter and run a test on the lpop. I ran the test and the lpop is working fine so the problem is hpo related obviously. I'm in the process of going back into the engine. So far the ICP seems fine and the IPR is brand new. The turbo has been taken apart and cleaned prior to installation. However, when I pulled the turbo a few minutes ago to get to the HPOP housing, I noticed fresh oil on top of the engine and oil around the pipe from the HPOP housing to the turbo. I suspect bad O-rings.

Can bad O-rings on the short pipe going from the HPOP to the turbo cause a no start when hot issue?

One other update... after I ran the LPOP test in the filter housing, the long start when cold issue disappeared. When cold, the engine will fire up immediately and run like a top. The problem is only when the engine is hot.
The short pipe you are talking about will not cause a no-start hot. That is simply a oil return line from the turbo, simply dumping the oil back into the engine. The pipe is not actually connected to the HPOP itself, just to the cover. Perhaps you have a bad o-ring that's causing the oil to leak from that location.

Your best bet is to get a hold of an air fittting to performa an air test on your HPOS. There are two kinds of air fittings, one that goes in the place of the ICP (more common), and one that goes in the place of the IPR. I have the latter because I think this is an easier method since you do no have to command the IPR closed in order to perform the test properly. I say get the air fitting first because you will most likely start throwin parts at your truck that may not neccessarily need to be replaced. I have done this and it sucks. Makes more sense to buy a diagnostic tool and use that to find the problem; hence saving you money in the long-run and reducing your overall headache.

Your HPOS leaks could origniate from;
-dummy plugs
-stand pipes
-HPOP itself if you have the early build model
-STC fitting if you have the late build model
-injector to HP oil rail seals
-oil rail to the couplings o-ring (more common that this oring actually goes and then high pressure oil from the rail erodes the seals in the injectors. So if you do have leaks in the injectors to oil rail seals this was most likely caused by the o-rings in the oil rail.)
-various orings from plugs on the oil rail (most commonly do not cause a hot no start)
-incorrect placement of the HPOP itself where the o-ring at the bottom of the pump is worn or missing.

So this is why I say to get the air fitting first rather than throw money at random parts. Hope this helps.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Update... the HPOS leak seems to have been from the wrong o-ring under the HPOP. I was watching a youtube video from DieselTechRon on troubleshooting a no start when hot when he mentioned a yellow O-ring under the HPOP. Sure enough, the O-ring under the HPOP was black and not yellow, although it seemed to fit fine. I replaced the O-rings under the HPOP and so far it's doing fine, but it IS my problem child 6.0 so I'm knocking on wood.

There was a pretty major oil leak, which ended up being the gasket from the oil cooler/filter housing. After that, I developed a coolant leak, which was a faulty o ring on the inner pipe going into the oil cooler from the EGR delete kit.

At the moment my only remaining issue is a bad AC compressor, but at least the engine is running at this particular moment. One good thing to come of this... I'm getting really good at pulling the turbo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.