Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  juddadam 
#1 ·
I'm looking for help diagnosing a problem we are having with our 2004 PSD I'm fairly sure it a turbo but thought I'd pick yawl's brains and see what you think. We left last Friday for a short camping trip and about 10 minutes into the trip I started thinking that the old girl was running a bit sluggish. At first I thought maybe it was just me since it's been since last August that we've had the camper out. When we got to our first hill it was clear something is wrong. At first I noticed when I put a little pedal to her there was a strange high pitched sound, much different than the regular turbo whine and it was sporadic and eventually went away. There is clearly a lack of power as I could barely maintain 45-50mph and I could do 65 up this hill and had plenty of power left before. The only other symptom is that at high RPM's and under load there is a loud "gushing" noise from what sounds like the turbo area. I thought it might be a pipe had come off but I cant see anything obvious. I don't have a boost gauge so I don't know what she's getting for boost but I'm not getting any CEL's, she's not smoking, she seems to be fine at idle, low RPM and all the other T's and P's are fine. I'm probably going to take it to the dealer but thought I'd check here and see if anyone has any advice.

Thanks!
Greg

#2 ·
A few things to check are the intercooler boots and exhaust leaks going to the turbo. Do you have any way of monitoring VGT to see if the turbo vanes are stuck?

#4 ·
It will almost never explode an intercooler boot, it will almost always just push the boot off of the turbo. If that is the case it would be obvious- just see if the intercooler boot is still in place. As for the turbo vanes, without the proper equipment, when your truck is running can you hear the vanes cycling? Often when you sit idle the vanes will cycle to prevent sticking and you should be able to hear that if the vanes aren't stuck.

#5 ·
the first thing i would do is have someone power brake it while you have the hood up and check for an obvious intercooler noise. if you cant tell immediatly where the leak is coming from try spraying some soapy water on the silicone intercooler hoses. ive seen those hoses develop little slits in them, and any boost leak will be vary noticible when driving under load. i hope its something simple like that

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.