Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

05 ford 6.0 long cranks won't stay running

7K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  juddadam 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a 2005 f250 6.0 powerstroke with a starting and running issue.

I have to crank the engine over 3 times for it to start and when it starts it idles for 4-5 seconds then shuts off.

Here is a YouTube Video I took of the problem.

There was gas in the diesel but I drained the tank and changed the filters with oem motorcraft and filled it with fresh diesel fuel.

#2 ·
Start with the basics. Check your fuel pressure. Also if you change the fuel filter there is more than likely air in the system. You should purge the air by turning the key on with out starting the truck to activate the fuel pump. The fuel pump will run for about 30 seconds to prime the lines, listen for the pump when you start the key. You will hear two sounds, first the the injectors priming, they will cut off first after a few seconds and then the fuel pump will continue to work for 30 seconds. When you hear the fuel pump finis it's cycle turn the key off and do this a total of 6 times before you try to start the truck. If this doesn't work then check fuel pressure.

#4 ·
pull the under hood fuel filter cap and have someone key on the truck and bump it over. the fuel pump should fill the upper fuel filter housing within just a few seconds. If you have good fuel there you should try and get ahold of a scanner that will do an injector buzz test and pull codes to see what cylinders dont want to fire.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.