weird surge - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2014, 01:38 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
weird surge

Got a 2006 and it's very sparatic but sometimes while under light accelaration it will surge and rpms go up. It's like you pushed on the throttle more and going faster but my foot is in the same throttle position. and sometimes while sitting at a red light it will idle high or even coasting to a red light it will have a high idle. It will also do it at 70mph with cruise control on. It is very erratic will do it every now and then, it might act up a couple times a day and then be normal for a day or two and then do it again. I pulled the ICP plug and there is no oil on the pigtail and I can't see any damage on the wires. I replaced the accel pedal/TPS asy and no change. My main question is will a ICP go bad even if it's not leaking oil? FICM never goes any lower than 47.5 ICP is good at idle and WOT and so is the IPR. I haven't been able to see a change in the ICP or the IPR when the truck is acting weird, it could be changing but by the time I look up at the scan gauge everything appears normal.

I am the original owner I bought the truck brand new and it has 136,000. At 96,000 I had head gaskets, studs, oil cooler, egr delete, stc fitting, blue spring, coolant filter, 4" straight pipe, and all the other updates done at that time. Also oil has always been changed every 5000miles never more than 6000miles per oil change. Fuel filters are done every 10,000 to 12,000miles.

Truck has been running trouble free for the past 3 years or so. When the truck was under warranty it had FICM replaced twiced, the VGT once, the throttle pedal asy, and had a major oil leak fixed which was the bed plate.

Last edited by smokejoke; 06-17-2014 at 01:40 PM. Reason: forgot to add
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2014, 03:55 PM

Old 06-26-2014, 06:17 AM

truck is still doing it.
Old 06-28-2014, 09:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have the same issue but cant seem to figure out what it is, some times mine also cuts out while driving after it has accelerated out of now where, its quite annoying!! Ive been looking all over the internet and found a few other people with similar problem but haven't really found the solution, but could be caused by ICP and maybe IPR , or even a wire harness. I think Im probably going to try and replace my ICP soon to see if that is the culprit.
Old 06-28-2014, 03:15 PM
Premium Member

This article talks about Oil problems, and surging is one of the symptoms. Might be a good read unless you have already seen this article. I learned a few things about my own issues from it. Dead in the Water - Oil Problems - Diesel Power Magazine
Old 07-01-2014, 03:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Has your truck died when turning at all? I had the same symptoms, and it was my CPS. It would sure at idle mostly, and died on left hand turns. Shut it down, and it restarted just fine. Replaced the CPS and it was fine.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It dies out of no where can be when I'm turning left or right or not turning at all but I will see if that code pops up when I read my dtc thanks for the help and info
Old 07-02-2014, 07:42 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by f250brah View Post
It dies out of no where can be when I'm turning left or right or not turning at all but I will see if that code pops up when I read my dtc thanks for the help and info
Mine had the weird surges as well, but only seemed to die on left hand turns (I had heard a few others had this same symptom, so strange). Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.