Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

6.0 no start when hot

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Lilpooh 
#1 ·
My 06 6.0 I bought used about 5 years ago has been great. But recently it has been slower to start and getting worse. It starts fine cold, it's always ran a little rough but it's a 6.0. But after it has been running it won't start back up. I'm figuring it is HPO problem. I'm a Ag mechanic but really hate working on my own stuff. I've heard of similar problems just thought I'd ask and see if there were any others with the same problem.

#2 ·
No start when hot is usually a indication of a HPOP system leaking, (HPOP, stand pipes, dummy plugs, STC). You'll need to do a air leak test to pin point the location.

If you have a monitor, you can also confirm a HPOP system leak by checking the ICP pressure when cranking the warmed up motor.

A 6.0 shouldn't run rough, should run very smooth if the motor is heathy. Do you have a monitor to check FICMv, pull codes, Fuel psi, ICP, IPR, EBP, EGR? A rough running 6.0 is a indication of a issue (bad or dirty sensor/actuator, wire or plug damage, blocked hose/tube).

"Rich is really good with knobs, his soft touch and attention to detail are like no other."-Portcity_gt

#3 ·
I would also suggest the air test, but if you haven't updated any of the following, I would suggest you do it while in there.
- Dummy Plugs
- Stand pipes
- STC Fitting

It's likely that one of those are your issue, but air test once they are swapped to ensure you don't have any other leaks. Injector top O-rings and oil rail ball tube O-rings are also possibilities.

#5 ·
If truck stays running after you turn key off, then it's a sign fuel or oil leaking into the cylinders, could be turbo seals, injector o-rings or copper seals.

"Rich is really good with knobs, his soft touch and attention to detail are like no other."-Portcity_gt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.