Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

2004 lower than normal towing power

731 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Chadm105 
#1 ·
Hi have an 04 6.0 SD. Has about 85k miles. Over the past few years I have had the oil cooler replaced, bullet proof egr cooler installed, ficm replaced down pipe replaced and turbo cleaned. The truck is more of a run around truck but I tow an 18 foot camp trailer a few trips a year. No mods all stock except for the egr cooler

I towed this past weekend and the truck seemed to struggle pulling hills. When I first bought it new, I towed my trailer through Colorado and was very impressed how well it did. This past weekend, it just seemed to work overly hard. Also, I could smell what seems like burnt oil on a hot motor after stopping.

Any thoughts on what might be causing the lower power? Runs and starts fine. Just seems weak.

Thanks in advance. Jeff

#2 ·
Where is your ICP sensor? On the valve cover or under the turbo? If its under the turbo, then you may have a bad ICP sensor that is leaking oil and failing giving false values which would cause low power.

I've been doing some work on mine, looking for an ICP issue of sorts, and found my ICP sensor leaking oil. I was surprised because I wasn't having any run issues, just an idle issue on cold starts below 32*. However my cold starts even with warm ambient temperatures required an IPR DC of 85% but with a normal crank time. I've found the ICP sensor can do some strange things

#3 ·
Having the same low power towing issue here. Towing a 7000lb travel trailer. Over maintenance everything and has lower power now than with stock bolts and turbo. Pulled great stock til blew egr cooler.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.