Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Turbo Hose Blowing Off Solution

737 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  anthropisces 
#1 ·
I recently replaced my exhaust and in the process found that the hose to the turbo had a hole in it.

I bought two of the pricey hose segments, the one that is connected near the grill and the one that connects to the turbo, and installed them.

After replacing the hose segments I started experiencing problems with the hose blowing off when pressures rose.

After many frustrating attempts at cleaning and applying plenty of torque to the hose clamp I finally fixed it as follows;

1) clean all surfaces with brake cleaner or other volatile solvent. thoroughly clean the hose clamp at this time as well

2) using a fairly rough grade of sandpaper, abrade all surfaces including the inside of the hose, and the nipple of the turbo or metal tube (depending on which joint is giving you trouble)

3) install the hose onto the joint that is giving you problems without anything else attached. be sure that it is fully seated. if you feel the hose squishing out while you are tightening, disassemble and provide better cleaning and abrading.

4) join the next segment. it should be clean/abraded as needed. use 2X4s or other materials as spacers so that the components are properly aligned and so that the joint you are connecting is not loaded.

This worked for me, good luck

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.