Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

BPD OIL COOLER install

4K views 31 replies 9 participants last post by  J_BAKE_04_PSD 
#1 ·
Ok, my question is with the A/C condenser. I'm at that point in the installation and the one installed in my truck isn't like the one in the manual nor in forum member Snakes write up. Are the self team screws going to mess up the condenser, or will it be fine? Please advise asap! Txt or call my cell at 202-236-8305. Thank you in advance for the assistance.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#3 ·
Don't see any flange to tap into, all I see are the freon headers so I'm assuming that it mounts top and bottom. Looks like your going to have to get creative on how you mount BPD's cooler.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#4 ·
Let me know what bpd has to say on Monday. Good luck getting it back on the road.

Sent from one of the worst apps in the world

#5 ·
PBD OIL COOLER install

Or get some C channel to go across the rad opening then bolt the oil cooler to that. An electrical shop would probably have low profile stuff but they don't call it C channel and the name escapes me at the moment. They use it to mount large electrical components in a cabinet there are special clips that snap onto this C channel also.

#6 ·
Unistrut. Good idea. I talked to him on the phone. He's super pushed for time though. If I was closer, I'd like to go help him. Justin, if you hit a dead End and need something fabbed let me know. I've got a buddy that does fab work on the side that lives in Penn valley

#8 ·
He got it mocked into position, but his AC condenser doesn't have any mounting locations for the bracket. He got it zip tied on pretty well for now. Pretty impressive job for a short term solution until bpd can get him the right part

#14 ·
As an AC tech, i would suggest cleaning that condenser thoroughly and carefully before reinstalling. It doesn't take much filth to kill the efficiency of the A/C system, and adding the oil cooler to the stack doesn't help either but its the only fix for the oil cooler nightmare.

#15 ·
So yea, totally forgot to update y'all with my quick fix solution. Was extremely busy trying to get the truck running before the shop closed. Even tho that didn't happen, I was able to talk the guy into just pushing the truck out into the parking lot so that I could finish. I just zip tied the Hell out of the cooler to the A/C condenser. I'm calling BPD on Monday (today technically) and see if they have something better for a more permanent solution. After I got the truck running, found a steady oil leak coming down from the back of the engine running down the driver side of the bell housing. I'm 95% positive it's the ICP sensor. Either didn't torque it enough, o-ring pinched, or something. So back at it again this weekend to try and get it figured out.

Attachments

#16 ·
I see what you mean by zip tying the hell out of it. :)

#20 ·
Yea, I think I'm going to wait on getting that for right now. But preciate the heads up on it.

#21 ·
When I installed my BPD oil cooler kit I ran into the same problem (about exactly a year ago). My truck was a salvage title truck hit in the front that I rebuilt, and installed an aftermarket (non Ford) AC condenser. When I discovered the round tubes and couldn't attach the oil cooler bracket, I bit the bullet (no pun intended LOL) and bought a new FORD ac condenser (local dealer had one in stock) and the rest of the install went easy.

Not sure if this new bracket from BPD was available a year ago or not, but it looks to be the solution to the problem. But if I remember right, the new condenser wasn't much more than this bracket.

#22 ·
OP: Please feel free to call us ANY time you have ANY issue installing anything you bought from us. We do our best to make sure we cover all threads on the forums.

We are available from 7am-5pm mountain time. Please let me know if there is anything we can do to help.

480-247-2331
or
888-967-6653

#23 ·
Update: got into it again to try to figure out what the oil leak was coming from. Was able to tightened the ICP SENSOR another half turn. Cranked it to find zero oil leaking from the top of the engine like before. Took it for a test drive and stopped at the clinic on base about a mile and a half away from the shop. Looked under the truck to find it leading again. Only this time it was a heavier leak. So it's parked yet again at the shop until I get a chance to rip into it once more.

I feel that I will need to replace the HPOP cover cause the threads for the ICP might be stripped. Does anyone know a good way to drain the oil lines from the block? I'm going to take the intake manifold off to replace the cover and would like to minimize the mess as much as possible.

#24 ·
On a much more brighter note, on that test drive, my deltas were very impressive. ECT was steady at 188-190* with the EOT @ 186-188* @ 95* ambient temp driving 55 mph.

#30 ·
Truck is now running with ZERO oil leaks!!! Had to get a new ICP sensor to replace the one that was in there. First, the dealership gave me the wrong sensor so had to go back and get the one for my MY. I have to say that after messing with it for the last three days, replacing the ICP sensor isn't a very tough job. LOL. Got it out and back together within 2 hours (not including the hour back and forth to the dealership). Just wanted to say thank you to everyone that has helped me with this install. Can't wait to get it back next week from getting the A/C system serviced.

#31 ·
You should have stuck with the one they gave you which was prob the late 04 and up sensor... I just found my 03 style sensor leaking and it didnt have that many miles on it, i stuck an old in for now and Im gonna get the newer style. The newer style doesnt have the same problems as the old one and only reads 50 lbs different.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.