Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

05 Hot no start, updates done in FEB14

634 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  tonka250 
#1 ·
I'll start at the beginning. I went on the hunt for a 05-07 6.0. Found a 05 F-250 Amarillo. Got it home and 2 months later did all of the updates. I removed the cab and got the engine totally tore down to find a blown head gasket and failing EGR cooler. I sent my heads to the machine shop to be checked and they were cracked. I installed reman heads with ARP studs and OEM head gaskets. I deleted EGR, STC fitting updated, Blue spring, OEM oil cooler, SCT Livewire TS, I rebuilt the high PSI oil rails with the viton o-rings off ebay, and resealed the injectors with all new o-rings from local pump shop.
Truck has been running great until 6/6/14. I was experiencing a hot no start ICP only building to 350 and IPR at 85. when truck gets to 140-150 degrees it will spin excessive then start. I removed the valve covers and air tested. I found inj number 7 to be leaking. I removed the oil rails and found the seal ate out from the top down. I immidiatly checked the fourms and youtube. I am finding that the high pressure oil rail ball seals are actually the failure and sending the HPO to attack the injector seal from the top. I inspected my oil rails. I have found pitting on the sides where the o-ring sits in there to seal the ball nipple.
I could just buy a new set of rails but Ford is saying they are reman and would have to order them for me. I happen to know some people at a local machine shop. I am thinking about machining the holes from 1.060" diameter to 1.113" and installing a larger 1/8" o-ring instead of the 3/32" o-ring. That will bring the new oring to the same 7/8" inside diameter, but the o-ring will now be 1/32" taller and create a tighter seal to the rail and ball nipple. The new oring would be a viton durameter 90. The machine shop would be taking .053" of material out and that will give my new oring a 7.5% squeeze. The new oring dimensions are 0.859-ID 1.137-OD 0.139-Thick. The OEM oring is 0.862-ID 1.068-OD 0.103-Thick.
What do you guys think about machining the OEM oil rails larger to get the pits out and accept a larger oring to create a better seal?

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.