Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Maximum ECT/EOT Delta on Desert Crossing?

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Dave 
#1 ·
Heading north from CA through Las Vegas/St. George/Salt Lake this week and should see temperature approaching 100F. At what ECT/EOT delta should I pull over and quit? As I understand it, at operating temperature the EOT should not exceed 15° above the ECT.

Can these be exceeded for short periods such as uphill? If so, by how much? How long?:eek:hnoes:

Truck is 2003 6.0 with manual transmission, 94k miles and original EGR cooler.

Recent service (3-2014) with oil, fuel and air filters, synthetic oil, Zerex G0-5 coolant and upgraded coolant cap. I have the ScanGuage II.

Thanks for the help.

#2 ·
Since you are saying you monitor your delta. Just make sure the oil temps stay below 240 on a grade. The delta thing is just an observation for when the road is level giving you a status of your oil cooler.

When I passed through from Sacramento to the Salt Lake City last year 100 degree air temps coolant temps got hot (210 and 230 for oil) and the radiator fan would kick I and drop everything back down

#4 ·
When I passed through from Sacramento to the Salt Lake City last year 100 degree air temps coolant temps got hot (210 and 230 for oil) and the radiator fan would kick I and drop everything back down
This is the very reason why Im giving up on the 6.0 fan and going to bpd's 7.3 fan mod. The manual fan mod is a big help but Im still not 100% happy.

#3 ·
If youre towing the delta is irrelevant.

#6 ·
Take 2 valiums and forget studying your deltas. If they aren't a problem right now, there a 99% chance it won't be a problem next weekend. Do you really think that the truck can't handle 100°F weather??
Pull over when your oil hits 253°..

#7 ·
Run it till it dies, then get on the org And bash ford...oh wait

Joking, you'll be fine. Shouldn't be anything but a fart in the wind

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#9 ·
253 is when the truck will defuel.

There is no set temp the fan kicks in on the 6.0. It kicks in based on multiple variables

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.