Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

6.0 after new Oil Cooler and EGR delete

3K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  4506.0 
#1 ·
I have a 2006 6.0. I bought the truck, which is my first Ford diesel, and it didn't have any problems when I bought it other than the coolant being a little dirty. About a month ago I flushed the coolant out and replaced it with new Cat ELC and the next day my truck was smoking white. Last week, I replaced the oil cooler with a Ford OEM unit and bought a new EGR and had it welded shut and both ends. On the test drive after the install, it smoked moderately under acceleration, but I believe that it was burning all the coolant that was in the muffler. But I had a few questions because the truck isn't running quite 100% back to the way it used to.

1. How much oil was I supposed to put in after installing the new Oil cooler? I just dumped 4 gallons in but I'm thinking now that may not be enough.

2. Does having the EGR cooler welded off have any impact on the smell of the exhaust? 6.0's usually have a distinct exhaust smell that my truck doesn't create anymore. It doesn't smell strongly of coolant, but it smells dirty.

3. Where, on the degas bottle, should the coolant level be? I read somewhere that the coolant bottles had some variation and confusion about where the max/min bar should have been. I replaced my degas bottle with a brand-new doorman unit.

Thanks in advance

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.