Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Intake gasket installation prep.

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  NYC F-350 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,
I'm finishing up my oil cooler install and am installing new intake manifold gaskets. I've searched up and down and don't see any where were it describes an engine side cleaning process after the old intake gaskets have been removed.

I would like to at least clean the area with a gasket scraper and break metal parts cleaner. I'm worried about getting junk into the intake holes.

Does anyone recommend a cleaning and preparation process? Any tricks that you have used or ideas on keeping junk out of the intake?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
Anyone? I know you guys remove these things all the time.

I guess I'll just jam paper towels down the holes and hit it with a gasket scraper. Then vacuum the area before I yank the towels out.

I'm just trying to do a clean job. Any thoughts are appreciated.

#3 ·
Shouldn't have anything stuck on the engine side of the intake manifold gasket..or on the intake side either. Those are pretty much rubber on plastic gaskets.
Inside the intake manifold, on the other hand, is full of soot. I used a parts cleaning tank I submerged my manifold in overnight and the following day I took it to the car wash and rinsed it out with the hot water blast. Let it dry, slap it back on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.