Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Odd oil temps right at start up?

831 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  ZMANN 
#1 ·
So I took the truck on about a 5hr road trip yesterday, from Sacramento to Modesto and back. Took me about 3 1/2 hrs there, 1 1/2 hrs back.
Truck ran great and I was very pleased with it, as it was the first time I've driven it more than about 15 miles at once.

Temps seemed normal, eot about 180, ect around 195-200.
During the evening on the way home, ect dropped to around 180, ect to around 160.
And like I said, truck ran great, no spikes in temp even while sitting in traffic.

Well this morning I get in the truck to head to work, and immediately, I mean as soon as the truck starts and gauges move, eot is already at 240.

I turned the truck off, and back on thinking something was wacked in my eot gauge. Still the same. Drove to work about 4 miles, the temp raised to about 260.

Checked the oil, has plenty of oil, oil is not black, looks to be in good shape. Topped off a little just for good measure, and turned the key over, still the same thing.

What gives? Checked my coolant, clean as a whistle, no oil in it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

See less See more
#2 ·
That tells me you have a biased oil temp sensor.
When you first turn the key on but before cranking the truck both sensors should read within a few degrees of ambient temps.
This is called a cold soak test and is one of the first things you want to check when diagnosing a potential heat problem.

#3 ·
My temp on the gauge starts at 140. Every morning when I start the truck, the needle is to the left, resting at the lowest spot, just like the rest of the gauges. That's why I found it odd.

The truck has not been running for 3hrs, and this is what I get when I turn the key to acc and when starting

#4 ·
#5 ·
After sitting all day at work. Everything seems to be back to normal. Faulty gauge?

#8 ·
Well, this morning we are right back to it. I may be ordering some new gauges today.

#9 ·
Very odd. During the day when the ambient temp heats up it works correct. Started after work, same thing as yesterday, all fine.
Driving around, all fine.
But in the morning when it's cool out it's all jacked

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.