Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

FICM questions

4K views 10 replies 2 participants last post by  soliphant 
#1 ·
I have a few ficm questions as im new to diesels, first off the previous owner of my truck said he bought a replacement ficm from international but never mentioned if it was programmed/ flashed to the truck. Next I keep getting a dtc code for low ficm voltage checked my batteries both are at 12.7 without draw, I am going to get them load tested shortly. I checked the voltage output of the ficm staying at 48V through all ranges, if my ficm did have low voltage would that not change the amount of output it has? Secondly I am going to pull it and check the harnesses but I wanted to know if I could use some dielectric grease on the plugs? Is there any correlation between any of this or is the truck just having problems communicated due to it not being programmed?

Truck runs perfectly fine had a bit of a rough idle but a new icp sensor fixed that.

Anyway thanks in advance:thumb:

#2 ·
The ficm is one of the systems that you wanna reeley make sure is healthy and happy. The volts should never drop below 46v. Ever. From first start to warmed up. This can get to be real hard on your injectors and your pocket book.
I would pull both batt's and have them tested . If one is found sick replace them both. As far as the grease goes I don't see were it could hurt,but Im sure someone has a horror story when a buddy used it and the trucks am/fm radio wouldn't tell the correct time ever again type of story....
Also check out the Big 3 upgrade.

#3 ·
Will do plan on towing this weekend so I definitelt dont want to get stuck somewhere. I figure a little grease in there might help keep the connections clean and maybe a little tighter. What is the big 3 upgrade?

#7 ·
Awesome thanks again i looked into the big 3 mod looks like a good plan, have you done this if so how did you do it I tend to be a bit unsure when it comes to electrical work. As well if you have done this do you find it helped?

#8 ·
I did do this. Id have to look it up or go pop the hood in the truck. (I only did this once and its been around 2 years ago so I be darned if I can remember for any certainty.) Its hard to say if it helped. But the 6.0 is very hard on batt's. And mine are now 2 years old and still goin. So I cant say yes it did or no it didn't help,but its just another little thing to help the 6.0.

#9 ·
Judging by the look of the batts and dates on them I would say the ones in there now are pushing 2 1/2 - 3 years old, maybe I will just change them anyways and keep those ones spares for my gas trucks

#10 ·
Might be a good idea. Im watching mine pretty close. If they show any issues Im gonna chuck 'em.
Batt's aren't cheap by any stretch but neither is injectors..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.