Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

white smoke startup

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  twoicebergs 
#1 ·
Ok so I did head studs and gaskets two weeks ago and I've been deleted since January.

I've been driving my truck everyday with a coolant pressure gauge to make sure I did a good job on gaskets and it never gets above 10psi if I release the pressure once warm it never gets above 4psi...

So I believe the gaskets check out ok...

Buttt.... Every morning when I start it up I get white smoke until it warms up... Once at operating temp it no longer smokes which takes about 5 min.

New injector seals installed and new heads installed with oem gaskets

Also it wasn't doing this before studs gaskets. Also have looney wild installed now

#4 ·
I really don't think 4psi on your coolant is ok, you should get about 10 everytime, even if you relief the pressure, it should go up again, that's part of what the cap should do, pressurize the system so the boiling temperature of the coolant rises.

But... you could have a stiction problem, run some rev-x on your oil, also rememer it's a diesel, you need to warm it before running. Check your glow plugs, the resistance on them could have gone bad over time, have you ever changed them? Or are they the ones that came from factory?

#5 ·
Replaced glow plugs when I did gaskets.

My understanding is when you relieve pressure while hot the coolant has expanded thus not pressurizing as much.

I run ar9100. Which according to uoa's and other people's experience s on this forum, shows it does the same as rev ex if not better

I really appreciate your reply, your the only one so far, I really think it's an injector, turbo, or tuning issue.

Did a coolant pressure check at 13 psi and it held so no obvious leaks

#6 ·
I have had quite a lot of trucks that smoke the first 5 minutes, but once they get into operating range they quit smoking, i seriously think that it's somewhat normal on the diesel trucks, even cummins, perkins, caterpillars, they all smoke the first minutes until they reach the temps.

I'm sorry i can't help you anymore, but i think theres nothing to solve.

You could try a compression test, just to check if everthing is ok in the inside of the engine.

#7 ·
Yea I really wanna convince myself it's normal lol

Only thing is it didn't do it before studs gaskets and hot tune

#9 ·
White smoke in warm temperatures after a few seconds is not normal. With cold and cool conditions with high relative humidity you can expect some white misting. White smoke/mist is only one of 2 things, moisture in the intake or fuel and excess raw fuel. One is a HG, head or EGR cooler issue, the other is an injector issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.