Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Problems after headstud install.

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Kriswill727 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm needing some advice from anyone that can help.

We have a 6.0 that my husband wanted to bullet proof... He took on the project (2 months+) on the weekends. He was extremely meticulous about what he was doing and cleaning parts as he went.
He installed:
the headstuds and oem head gasket (with the help of a diesel mechanic from work)
Got the heads machined
New gaskets for almost everything he touched.
Welded freeze plugs on the egr
Cleaned the injectors
Took the turbo apart and cleaned it.(first thing he did when he started)

Fast forward to today... This is where we need some direction.
We went to start it yesterday took forever to start 30+ seconds then it fired up. The turbo didn't engage at all. Today he took it off trying to see if there is anything is wrong with it and there was oil in the exhaust pipe. Cleaned it up tried again. Nope.
Also it sounds like its misfiring. Could the injectors have possible become clogged during the cleaning process? I suggested an injector treatment possibly but don't know if that would cause more damage.
Also it makes a chachacha sound until he unplugs the turbo then the motor sounds completely normal minus the misfiring.
All suggestions appreciated.

See less See more
#3 ·
Now that the dust has settled, we came up with a game plan. We are going to rebuild the turbo, it worked perfectly when he took the truck apart so we are thinking the seal just tried out in our dry Las Vegas air. Then we are taking it to ford to get the codes ran. Then go from there. When he took the heads apart, one of the gaskets was starting to go. We were losing coolant too. I'm thankful for this forum, gave us alot of direction. Thanks for your reply.

#4 ·
Also,
When I did my studs the oil rails leaked the oil out of them... Then when I started it ran like CRAP.. wouldn't even stay running.
I had to drive it full throttle a couple times before the air worked its way out of the system.
Air in the High pressure oil system will make it run like crap for a little while.

Whether you are changing the oil cooler or taking off the oil rails.

#5 ·
I would definitely let it run for awhile to get all the air out of the system. Also go thru and make sure all the sensors are plugged in too. sometimes they appear to be plugged in but aren't all the way. A scanner will usually tell you which ones aren't plugged in.

Definitely need to get a scanner.

I live in northwest Vegas and have a scanner you can borrow if your in my area. send me a PM if you are interested.

#6 ·
the chachacha can be an exhaust leak from the y pipe into the turbo connection make sure that vband clamp is placed after the pipe has sat perfectly in its place... same thing happened to me truck wouldn't build boost, misfire,and make a chacha noiseee, also if i floored it i would get smoke out of the hood.

goodluck :thumb:

#7 ·
first off, thank yall for the advice.. its appreciated.. took the advice and went on a ride with a friend who has the "OH SO GREAT 7.3". gotta say im gettin tired of hearing it.. haha. anyway, we drove my 6.0 for a few miles. managed to get her down to auto zone for a quick scan of the check engine code. all codes read back as turbo issues but they could not tell me anything more. on the way she ran pretty darn rough.. almost like shes runnin outa fuel, then she boosted and took off as if the motor just came alive.... and then at 2200rpm she either backfired something terrible or my turbo blew something cuz now i have zero boost, next to no whistle, the turbo was smoking when we looked under the hood right after the pop. once home i had so little power it took me going into 4x4 low to crawl up into the yard. this trip had lots of blue smoke... good lord. tearing into the turbo this weekend to see what happened. thus far no leaks from the heads....knock on wood. i do have excessive heat but the temp gauge says normal temp. my intake all the way back to the air filter housing are hotter than they should be. hmmmm....to be continued.

#12 ·
After taking her to the ford dealership we discovered a push rod fell into the wrong spot. Luckily it didn't cause damage. She's been running pretty awesome once we discovered that. It cost $1100 just for the mechanic to take the motor apart. And $15 for a new push rod. The old one was completely dog legged.

#14 ·
Thanks! We're super lucky it didn't completely destroy the combustion chamber?? it's been a year and it's foggy where it went. Oh and I'm the wife so I'm not 100% sure. They did say it nicked the head gasket but it's been holding out for a year.

She's not exactly on the road. Yesterday someone ran a diagnostic on her. Without returning to stock tune first. :confounded: now the tuner is showing married in the details but when we plug it in, error not married to this truck. I've spent my entire day on the phone with sct and messing with it. Since it messed up the tune the truck won't drive! Oh and it's 110 degrees out and the truck has to be off for this whole process.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.